Trans input shaft question

Richie
Richie Senior Contributor
Hi guys, looking at the manual it looks like a pretty good task to change the input shaft on an overdrive trans. Any advice would be appreciated before I start this project. Richie

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, it's a big job, particularly on the single lever box. You have to take off the overdrive unit and the transmission output shaft, low and second gears, drop the cluster, and then remove the front shaft. Follow the book!
  • Richie
    I kinda thought that Geoff, thanks. I will follow the book. Richie
  • Richie
    Geoff, would it be easier to take the overdrive unit off the trans that is in the car (have to pull it out anyway) and has a good input shaft and repair that one? The trans in the car makes a terribly loud noise only in overdrive, sounds like a worn out rear end singing. Driving in regular drive it is quiet. I never worked on an O/D unit, but am willing to learn. Thanks. Richie.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I reckon your planetary gear is shot. The three pinions are probably worn out in the centre rollers. If the units you are identical then you can cannibalise one for parts for the other. You cannot remove the entire overdrive unit with it in the car, only the casing. What's wrong with your input shaft? Are we talking double or single lever?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Check my website... https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/ there are several transmission manuals dealing with OD and how to maintain and repair.
  • Richie
    edited February 2019
    Geoff, I bought a single lever O/D condition unknown and the input shaft is hard to turn. The trans was stored for many years. The inside was very good, with everything well oiled and clean looking, but the input shaft is all rusty on the outside only. I haven't removed the rust yet, but it turns very hard. I'll get to the cleaning of the input shaft today. Thanks. Richie

• Richie
    Thank you Glowplug. Richie.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    The photo looks like the case is cracked. Frozen at one time?
  • Richie
    lostmind said:

The photo looks like the case is cracked. Frozen at one time?

Lostmind, it just looks like it was cracked from that angle. Here is a pic after some cleaning. Richie

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    That looks better.
  • Richie
    lostmind said:

That looks better.

Here is a pic of the inside. At first I used an old clutch disc to turn the input shaft but after greasing the throw-out bearing fitting the grease flushed out all kinds of dirt and old gunk. After turning it for a while and adding the 85/140 gear oil I could turn the input shaft with two fingers and it was smooth as silk. I believe all will be well with it the way it is now. Think I lucked out a bit. Thank all of you for your comments. Richie.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Certainly looks fine, and if it runs easy it won't hurt to try it as is. You may need some better corks in the clutch plate though!
  • Richie
    I believe you are right Geoff !! Thanks for your help.
  • You had better save whatever useable input shafts you have. It's really tough to find a good one these days!
  • Richie
    M.Patterson56, I save everything, not to worry.