Timiing issue

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
The timing keeps “jumping” .I’ve tightened the distributor and after timing it, it ran good. I went to start it today and the timing was of. This makes the second ignition system to do this. I have gone back to points (instead of the Crane electric eye) after it kept jumping timing. I’ve read a few posts on this forum and it looks like jumping timing is not that unusual with Hudson engines. Is there something I need to do to correct this problem?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    What engine is this for?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    262 with Twin H setup.
  • what is a Crane electric Eye?
  • Is it this system: https://rodauthority.com/tech-stories/crane-cams-points-to-ignition-coversion-with-the-xr-i-kit/

You also didn't mention if you were running a 6 volt or 12 volt electrical system. I have heard that the 6 volt systems are not as reliable as the 12 volt systems with these modern points replacements.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    It’s been converted to 12 volts. I ran on points for years, but it seemed like that with 12 volts it had a miss that went away when I switched to Petronix. Petronix burnt out on me twice recently and that’s when I decided to go with the FAST ignition (formerly Crane ) which uses an optical wheel attached to a module. It worked well but I didn’t batten down the optical sender well enough and it hit the wheel causing the slots to lose the proper alignment, leaving me sitting on the side of the read. Hence the return to points.
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    I would check the distributor drive gear, as they are prone to wearing