Condensor on the generator

Val
Val Member
Does any one have a photo of the condenser is attached to their generator? If so please post so that I may know how you attached it.
Thanks Vic

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Can you Google the picture
  • Val
    Val Member
    Tried that, no luck
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I m not sure I can't get to my truck to tell you
  • Val
    Val Member
    Anyone??
  • Val, not sure what year your car is. I can take a picture of the generator on my 50 (eight) in the next day or two. k
  • Val
    Val Member
    1939, positive ground system. Thanks
  • I’m not sure I’m totally understanding you, Val.  Here’s a shot of my generator with the solenoid attached to the top.  The only “condenser” that I know about is in the distributor.  Mine is a 1950.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    On my 1940 is the same way I checked it today
  • Val
    Val Member
    Yes, Ken U-Tx is correct. When Steve (our radio guy) refurbished my radio he sent me 3 condensers/ Saying one on the generator, one on the temp switch and of course on the distributor. If I'm thinking right the generator terminals are marked F and A so I will look at mine as see if it is.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Ok thank you
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Your never to old to learn something  new
  • That photo is of a STARTER not a GENERATOR.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    With a solenoid, not a condenser. Radio suppression condenser is mounted on coil, not distributor.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I didn't  think it had one on the generator  I went thru the services Manuel  I thought  it might  have been a supplement to the manuel
  • Val
    Val Member
    Yes that pic is a starter. I spoke with Steve (radio man) and he told how to connect it to the generator. It is connected on the A side. Geoff how would I mount to the coil?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The article at this url is a complete description of how to ID and eliminate radio interference.  Using condersors is explained as well as selection and installation.  

https://www.howacarworks.com/accessories/identifying-and-suppressing-radio-interference.amp 
  • Sheesh!  Well anyway it was one of those round, black things!  
    Good thing Ken came around, Val!
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited January 2019
    Keithfullmery, I am glad Ken clarified what I wanted to say but I want to thank you also for taking a photo and posting so quickly. As I stated in a previous post our radio expert Steve confirmed how to hook it up for me also. Glowplug, thanks for the link, interesting website. I have an inline suppressor for the coil wire. But I cant connect to the key on "hot" side of my coil as it is not made like that or any typical bottle type coil. My hot wire is connected underneath the cap on top of the coil.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Note: on the illustration of the coil in the article, the condenser is connected to the + terminal. That is for negative ground cars only. On positive ground, like our Hudsons, the condenser is connected to the negative terminal (the one form the ignition switch).
  • Basically for radio noise when you have brushes. Mount condenser to generator body and the lead to the terminal ARM or BAT.
    This may have been answered earlier; I haven't looked thru all of this.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Geoff, I understand the positive ground thing but as I said I cant connect anything to my hot side due to the way the coil is made. See attached photo