Glass replacement

jjbubaboy
jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
Hi All,
Looking to replace all the glass in my 36T.
Looking for good recommendations from others experiences.
So far I have looked at Bobs Classic Auto Glass, and Auto Glassics.
Thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!
Jeff

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Do you plan to do it yourself or have it done? And, what part of the country do you call home?

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    You could take it a auto or commercial glass company with the old glass and then can make it sinces it flat plate glass hope it helped
  • jjbubaboy
    Hey Brownie, the plan was to do myself...I hope. And I live in Washington State up on the Peninsula.
    Thanks Charles, didn't think of that. and don't know if that would be less cost.
    Jeff
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    No shipping charges 
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Try Vic Zamora Vics Auto Glass thez@verizon.net
  • When you use the old glass as a template - keep them safe somewhere in the garage/roof for the day you need a replacement or template again - I've got a complete set stored away of old windows I could use if and when a window cracks etc kindly given to me by the previous owner
    Cheers ken
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Yes^. Any good glass company can do the job.   I used one in St. Louis and  the computer operated machine scores on both sides.  Neat to see.   Then slowly the guy will add heat in order to open up slightly to cut the lamination. 
  • On the Olympic Peninsula, I went to Port Angeles Auto Glass and they did a good job for my '37, making new glass and using my old glass as a pattern. It was probably more expensive that way than ordering it as a package online, but it works OK. The interesting part of it is that the original quarter and rear window glass was not safety glass. Of course, I had them cut the new one out of safety glass.
  • Browniepetersen
    I think you have an idea what to do. I took my flat glass down to a local auto glass shop and had them cut it (my 54 coupe). The wind wings, I pulled the glass out and had the bright work plated and then had the glass shop re glue in the new glass. Bought my whiskers and runners from Vic (as mentioned above). Glued it back in place with double base epoxy. And there you have it. Not a big, but a fun project...
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Hello Jeff, I have the U-Channels with the stainless steel beading and with out the beading. The whiskers (beltlines) has the beading on them. VicTor Z thez@verizon.net Phone not working :(
  • jjbubaboy
    Yes Victor, I will be contacting you to get replacements, probably for all 4 doors and the rear sliding windows.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • jjbubaboy
    Hey Brownie and jtroberg,
    Did you go with all clear glass or any that was tinted?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Clear glass only for me.
    jtroberg
  • jjbubaboy
    Yes, mine is all original clear now, but I was considering tinted for the windshield and rear windows.
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2018
    Ive gone tinted in my Hudson and really like it... Its really what you prefer...
  • jjbubaboy
    Ol racer,
    did you tint all the glass? And what color did you go with?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Tint for me.  It’s a light smoke or gray. Windshield, back and rear sides.   Door glass will either be same or clear.  Very mild not dark.  
  • Browniepetersen
    jjbubaboy, Hudson offered tinted glass for 1954. It is a light tint to the grey side and in that my windshield was tinted, I went with tinted glass. It is hard to tell until you get out in the sun. I think this is a good fit for our hot summer days...
  • jjbubaboy
    Thanks all!
    Sounds like the tint would be the way to go, especially since it does get pretty hot in there in the summer!
    Jeff
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    On my '37's I had all the new windows cut in TINT just like all modern cars have and never regretted doing it.
    I did Not have the glass tinted with the Tint 'film' afterward.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Check with these folks to see if they can help you out.

http://restoglass.com
  • jjbubaboy
    Thanks onerare39!
    I emailed them for a quote.