Question, about overdrive.

Richie
Richie Senior Contributor
Hi all again, the overdrive lockout switch has been by-passed and appears its been that way for a long time. I had to dig the wires out of grease-dirt and muck. What would be the point of bypassing the O/D lockout switch? Could this cause problems? Just purchased the car and am doing repairs. Thanks. Richie

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    The Overdrive-Lockout is designed for vehicle applications that are extremely over loaded on a daily basis and for durability purposes are best kept out of overdrive. The lockout switch when activated will disallow overdrive even when the shift selector is placed in the overdrive position.
  • Richie
    Thanks Charles4d
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Overdrive operational and maintenance information can be found on this website under the TRANSMISSION section.
    https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I'm not aware of any such switch as a "Lockout" switch. If you mean the switch actuated by the lever on the housing when the Bowden cable is pushed in, if this is by-passed, then the overdrive solenoid will be activated even when the cable is pulled out, and this will eventually burn out the solenoid. The only way to permanently lock out the overdrive would be to disable this switch so it could not provide a circuit to the governor.
  • Richie
    Geoff said:

I'm not aware of any such switch as a "Lockout" switch. If you mean the switch actuated by the lever on the housing when the Bowden cable is pushed in, if this is by-passed, then the overdrive solenoid will be activated even when the cable is pulled out, and this will eventually burn out the solenoid. The only way to permanently lock out the overdrive would be to disable this switch so it could not provide a circuit to the governor.

• Richie
    Geoff, here is what I'm talking about. Maybe it is not called a lockout switch, not sure.
  • I'm not around my car right now, but I'm pretty sure mine has the "lockout" switch also. Just an electrical continuity switch that breaks when the transmission is in reverse. I can get pictures of mine later.
    I actually had mine off to run new wires to it and clean it a few weeks ago...k
  • keithfullmeryahoocom
    keithfullmeryahoocom Expert Adviser
    edited December 2018

Here's my "before" shot. Trannie on the garage floor. Lockout switch is located toward the tail-shaft with wires attached.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Okay, that is the actual control switch, which does in effect lock out the overdrive when reverse is selected. Is the bypass open circuit? If so this will of course disable the overdrive function permanently.
  • Richie

I'm not around my car right now, but I'm pretty sure mine has the "lockout" switch also. Just an electrical continuity switch that breaks when the transmission is in reverse. I can get pictures of mine later.
    I actually had mine off to run new wires to it and clean it a few weeks ago...k

Keith, that is a great shot of what I'm asking about. Thanks. Richie

• Richie
    Geoff said:

Okay, that is the actual control switch, which does in effect lock out the overdrive when reverse is selected. Is the bypass open circuit? If so this will of course disable the overdrive function permanently.

Geoff, it is probably just the way the factory wired it except for the bypass. All wiring looks original and unmolested with the exception of that switch being bypassed. To answer your question, I don't know if it is an open circuit. Thanks. Richie.
  • Richie
    Glowplug said:

Overdrive operational and maintenance information can be found on this website under the TRANSMISSION section.
    https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

Thanks Glowplug. Richie.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    As said above, that "reverse lockout" switch is there to ensure the overdrive can't activate when you're in reverse gear. If bypassed, the OD might try to engage if you were driving in reverse and got above the governor cut-in speed. That might produce loud and expensive noises.
  • This may help shed some light. From another site. I have a '49 Ford with the same Borg Warner overdrive.
  • Richie
    Thanks Keith and Park. Richie