212 cam bearings

I'm looking for camshaft bearings for my 36 Terraplane 212 engine. Anyone know where i can find some? Or what years would work?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    According to the parts book, all '30 thru '39 cam bearings are the same. This would changed form '41 onwards, where the rear bearing was longer. I have had a set of bronze cam bearing shells machined for my '28 Essex motor, and I think these are the same as the 212, so no big deal to get done.
  • Hi Geoff, there is a set on ebay they are saying good for 38 to 47 Hudson 6. I'm thinking they would work in my Terraplane?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    '38 to '47 does not compute! From '41 onwards the rear cam bearing was longer..
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    And the later ones are thinner than the older ones
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    How bad are your existing bearings. Do they really need replacing? If they are bad have you also considered getting the camshaft polished or the lobes reground for a better profile? You could pull out the existing bearings and get them remetalled. You will need to remove the 3 sealing washers on the side of the block, then remove a small locking pin that holds the bearings and oil hole location in place. I would love to hear of an easy way to remove these pins. The pins should have been made longer with an internal threaded hole in the end to make removal easier. The manuals recommend line boring the new bearings I think, but have people done this? This probably depends on how good you can install the new bearings without damaging them. Dan, Let us know how you go.
  • The machine shop rebuilding my engine told me I need new bearings. Already found a nos camshaft.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Dan, Im curious how are you going to remove the old cam bearings? I was hoping our experts would comment provide this info. Would like to learn know the correct way. Barry
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The manual says "This is an operation seldom needed during the entire life of the car. " I have never needed to perform this operation even in very worn engines.
  • Not sure. Just going by what the machine shop is telling me.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    As test of whether you need new cam bearings get the engine rebuilders to trial fit your NOS cam. 
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    I regret to say that standard procedure at the machine shop is to either pull them
    or destroy in the clean-up if a caustic grease remover used in a hot tank - hope I am wrong - check it out.