Preparing engine in hudson for storage for 5 months

I would like to know can anyone tell me what they do with there engine as to the cylinders do you take the plugs out and spray something in the cylinders for storage. I have never had to do this before.

Thankyou Bernie

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I never do anything major to my C8 or HH for the winter. Did someone tell you that you needed to do something special for Hudson engines?
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    It is really simple, you drive them year around--just like they did when they were new. I will be taking mine out today for lunch..
  • Put Sta-Bil in the gas and leave it alone. Or you can do what Brownie does.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I gather you live where the weather is cold and perhaps snowy and therefore you don't have the opportunity to drive your vehicle year round. I'd suggest going on YouTube as there are numerous videos there on how to store your vintage/classic car for the winter. As for me, I do like Lance and put Sta-Bil in a full tank, run the engine to circulate the new gas in the fuel system and just leave it alone until things warm up next year.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Frankly, besides adding Sta-bil to the tank, I pretty much let my car sit all winter, occasionally running the engine every few weeks (for at least 15 minutes each time, to let everything fully warm up). I take the battery inside and hook up a battery maintainer (the car sits in a trailer in my field, too far from an electrical outlet). Here are some alternatives you could consider:

1). Jack the car up & use jackstands to take the weight off the tires. (Downside: in case of a garage fire you won't be able to roll the car out, to safety!)

2). "Fog" the engine, coating the internals with oil before shutting it down for the season.

3). Depress the clutch pedal with a long stick jammed between the seat and the pedal, so that the clutch doesn't stick to the flywheel in the spring. (I've never done this in 45 years of owning this car, but many others have stuck clutches after the car sits for some time!)

4). Of course you will definitely want to use Sta-bil in the tank, and fill the tank before storage. And maybe Marvel Mystery Oil as well. And run the car after adding these things, to give them time to mix with the gas, throughout the fuel system.

5). Connect a battery maintainer.

6). Of course, check your antifreeze's protection level.

I'm sure that others will have disagreements, or additional ideas!
  • Thanks a lot Everyone who has helped me with my Questions on my 1941 Hudson I am hoping before xmas to send some pictures and have them on the site I have not figured out how to do that yet.

Thanks Again Bernie In Pembroke Ontario Canada

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here's the page with tips on using the forum: https://openforum.hetclub.org/categories/forum-instructions-tips
    The "photograph" advice is five or six items down from the top.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Jon B, above has a pretty good list. FWIW, this is what I have always done and many old time Hudson Aficionados would second the motion:

1. Jack the car up on jackstands. The reason for this is that tires sitting still too long will get flat spots unless rolled around regularly. On bias ply tire, the flat spots will work themselves out after rolling down the road. On radials, you can develop permanent flat spots that are in the tire's "memory" and will never go away.

2. If it's 5 or 6 months, you can add Sta-Bil to the gas tank and it will preserve the gas. Modern day gas (especially with Ethanol in it) only has a shelf life of 2 or 3 months tops. Sta-bil doubles that. Any longer, and it's best to drain the gas and then run the engine until it stops. If you don't run Marvel Mystery Oil or the equivalent reguarly, then it's best to do this last run-out with some in the Carb(s). It will help keep the inside of the carbs from gumming up.

3. DISCONNECT your battery and then put a trickle charger on it or remove the battery completely and use in something else.

That's it. You can leave a Hudson like this for a decade, come back drop in the battery and add some gas and she'll fire up like she was never put to sleep.

As a side note, seeing as how you are in Ontario, Jon's mention of Anti-Freeze goes without saying. As long as you are not running straight water in your car, you should be fine. Also, a well-maintained clutch won't seize up through the winter. Multi-year storage, perhaps a different story.