MPG info wanted for 308 Hornet, Twin-H, w/Hydramatic models

hey guys - i am looking for "real world" mpg data for 308 hornet twin h w/hydramatic models - if you have this drivetrain, please post your miles per gallon, city, highway, range, etc! thanks!

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    13-14 mpg on the three I had
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I actually got 18 on I95 driving N from FL to MD.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    16 average on mine.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    With Twin-H and Hydramatic, if you can get 15-16 hwy, you typically have it tuned correctly. Hornets are notorious gas hogs.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Just finished my 54 Hornet Special Coupe (see avatar). This is a late production 54 (engine) with modifications beyond 7X and with the MPG checks I made last week it is solid on 16.5mpg. I am more than happy about that....
  • thanks guys - this is very helpful information - now that my gas tank doesn't leak, my mpg readings are getting better! i need to check the odometer with my gps to get an accurate reading for distance though - thanks again!
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi Brownie. Our 54 Hornet is running and shifting great and runs strong. You said you did modifications beyond 7x Could you tell me your secrets on this modifications. Ray from Canada
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Here ya are: This is a sign I show with my car...

"THE LEGENDARY HUDSONS OF Drag Racing"

Every sport has legends, and competition in the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing's prestigious Winston Cup Series was the natural forum to showcase the winning spirit of Hudson Hornet. Drag racing was also part of NASCar and the top event was the prestigious drag racing winter nationals where chuck parcell (Black beauty) and ike smith (The Beast) campaigned to a win in 1968 at 12.5 seconds at 106mph.

Key to the success for Hudson was the Mystical/Magical High Performance 7X engine built by Hudson's Factory Racing Team.

FEATURES OF THE 7X0308 ENGINE FEATURES OF THIS “beyond 7X”308 ENGINE

308 block milled to .005 308 block/head milled .0025 +/-.001

Cylinder wall +/-.005 Cylinder wall align bored
    To .020 with +/-.001

2" intake, 1 11/16" exhaust 2" intake, 1 11/16" exhaust
    Valves valves

311040-7X Cam 372/254 high performance Cam

232 Head with increased relief 308 Head milled & lapped .010 +/-.005
    =8.7/9.2 to 1 compression ratio =9.5/10.2 to 1 compression ratio

Horsepower @ 3,000 RPM is 180 Horsepower @ 3,000 RPM is 221

Stock Twin-H Power Stock Twin-H Power

SPLIT MANIFOLD DUAL EXHAUST CUSTOM RACING LOW resistance
    LOW RESISTANCE MUFFLER W/3” pipe and “2” Twin lakepipes”

Stock timing chain MAAS performance timing chain

All metal parts precision machined and balanced

This numbers matching ‘1954’ Hudson was owned by Wayne graefen and prepared for racing (note: equalizer bar, exhaust cut-out, chrome head caps, and 1954 jet seats) by Ike smith/chuck parcell and was a ‘m/sa’ class winner at Irwindale drag strip, California in 1967. It is restored to the condition that it was in when it was used for racing in 1967/68. Many thanks to those who helped bring this rare Hudson back to the highways and byways of America.

• Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited September 2019
    today - 18.3 mpg flat highway driving 65-75 mph, 200+ miles - best to date!!!

i'm getting ready for a 600 mile round trip from seattle to walla walla and back - 1 mountain pass each way with 3000 elevation gain - it would be great to see that kind of mileage!