Rare Stepdown now on eBay

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I had a blue one I had to scrap. It broke the frame/floor at the b pillar , only the roof
    kept it from breaking in half. Ohio car. I saved the engine and trans.
    Now that car is rarer, one less around.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Does anyone know why they brought back this body style the last year? Maybe just seeing if anything would change the sales picture?? It had been missing for several years in the line up.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited September 2018

Dan; Hudson had the 2 door sedan in the mix through the entire Stepdown run 1948-54. The 2 door sedan was featured in the Hornet Special advertising. I am a fan of the 54 styled Stepdowns and especially the 2 door Club Sedan models.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I just sold my 54 Hornet Club Sedan. It was in rough shape, but fairly rust free. The new owner is making quick progress getting it back on the road.
  • 50C8DAN said:

Does anyone know why they brought back this body style the last year? Maybe just seeing if anything would change the sales picture?? It had been missing for several years in the line up.

Dan, I heard it was because they wanted to use up the Wasp parts. The Wasp must have had this body style, and it's essentially the same car from the firewall back. So a cheap way to offer a new Hornet style and get rid of their Wasp part inventory at the same time. Note that you couldn't get this body style in a regular Hornet - it was the cheaper-priced Special only.
  • 50C8DAN
    I guess i should have been more specific. What I should have said was 2dr sedan in the senior line. Stephen that is my guess as well.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I always go on a rant when folks use the term "Rare" when talking about a Hudson. In this case I am excited to see that the term has been used correctly. This "Hornet Special" model was only produced from April to September in 1954, Our club member who keeps the roster on the 54 Specials tells us that around 77 were made in each of the three styles offered: Sedan, Coupe and 2dr Sedan or brougham. Al reports that most likely 7 of each model are still around. I have one of the Coupes and from my research there are 4 on the road or soon will be. This car has had work completed on it and presents well. Someone needs to grab this one up....
  • Someone needs to grab this one up....

Believe me, I would if I could...
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited September 2018
    I never realized the low production numbers of the '54 Hornet Special. Thanks for the info., Brownie! That said, it's interesting to note that Moebius Models chose to make a very well detailed 1/25 scale plastic kit of a Hornet Special brougham (two versions, one standard, the other a racing). Brooklin Models also produced a 1/43 scale diecast Hornet Special coupe some years back.
  • Browniepetersen
    I just noticed that in the pictures one car has the radio antenna on top of the car, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. Strange---was Hudson having a problem determining where the antenna should be? I looked in Butlers book, because it always has the correct answer. None of the photos show an atenna? Mine is in the top center.,
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited September 2018
    The July 1954 Hudson Service Merchandiser has instructions for left front fender antenna installation on '54 models. My '53 Super Wasp has this antenna on its left front fender and was apparently dealer installed. Don't know why Hudson made this fender antenna available (versus just keeping with the roof mounted one). Perhaps someone out there knows the answer.

Dan
  • 50C8DAN
    edited September 2018
    I am going to guess that the fender antenna was much easier and probably cheaper to install. If you screw up drilling a hole in the roof, well...... You also need to mess with the headliner and run the cable down around the windshield ('54 and forward, for earlier spit windshields you ran down the center divider), all complicating matters. By '54 roof antennas were pretty much disappearing, and most makes had already disappeared.
  • I have a 54 hornet special 4 door how rare are these or are they common ?
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited September 2018
    rusty176 said:

I have a 54 hornet special 4 door how rare are these or are they common ?

Hornet Specials are rare. As Brownie said above, only 77 of each body style were made as Specials (no convertibles of course), and probably only a handful of each exist today.
  • Cool it will be a keeper should be on the road in a week or so ?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The car was sold to a Texas HET Club and newest member of the South Texas Chapter. Hope to see this car in Waco Texas for the October meeting.
  • Apart from badges what was different from the hornet special to the normal hornet ?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hornet Specials used cheaper trim and interiors in the basic form. All the interior options could be special ordered as well as the drivelines to match.
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    rusty176 said:

Apart from badges what was different from the hornet special to the normal hornet ?

A Hornet Special was basically a Super Wasp with a Hornet chassis and drivetrain.

• Thanks for the info ?
  • Browniepetersen
    edited September 2018
    super-six.... Do not want to rag on you, but each time I hear this it makes my eyes boil!!! In April of 1954, Hudson sold the company. To help clear out parts they introduced the Hornet Special. Some of the outside chrome was removed as well as some of the inside trim. They cut the cost by $500.00. It could be ordered from the factory with any of the option items offered by Hudson. IT WAS ALWAYS A FULL SIZED HORNET..........................................
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser

super-six.... Do not want to rag on you, but each time I hear this it makes my eyes boil!!! In April of 1954, Hudson sold the company. To help clear out parts they introduced the Hornet Special. Some of the outside chrome was removed as well as some of the inside trim. They cut the cost by $500.00. It could be ordered from the factory with any of the option items offered by Hudson. IT WAS ALWAYS A FULL SIZED HORNET..........................................

Sorry to hear of your eye problems. If you re-read, I stated it was a Hornet chassis (now called platform). I'm confidant the OP understands my description. "Basically a Hornet with Super Wasp trim" or "...basically a Super Wasp with a Hornet chassis and drivetrain." Pick your preferred description that works for you.
  • Browniepetersen
    I guess a rose is a rose... And, by any other name it would still smell as sweet. To the folks in Texas that bought it...WELL BOUGHT!!
  • Gotta love these. The 2dr sedan was kinda unique. Gave you the roominess of the sedan, but the cleaner looks of a two door. Neat car.
  • Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
    I picked up a "54 Hudson Hornet Special a few months ago, had been sitting on a farm in eastern Washington for over 50 years as the farmer decided to overhaul the engine, took it apart, never got back to it. It is a 4 door but the "tin worm" had a feast. on. I did not know they were so rare. This one could be saved but needs lots TLC. I have the title for it. My health is preventing me from doing much with cars now as I am my wifes caregiver and that keeps me busy. Let me know if any interest. Thanks, Arnie
  • I am looking for a stepdown convertible rolling frame to restore. had to sell my 52 hornet cv 10 years ago and have never been the same. call me at 2053103830 or email at hosea132004@yahoo.com my name is jerome lewis and am a member of the dixie chapter. thanks
  • I need a 54 super wasp transported from unionville, va to tuscaloosa, al. it is 750 miles. This is a solid parts car to help restore my 54 super wasp I wrecked while in college. It needs to be an open carrier not enclosed. I have been advised to find a carrier that charges a dollar per mile. Can anyone help me?
  • hosea13
    hosea13 Member
    got 54 super wasp moved to tuscaloosa.
  • bobdriveshudson2
    bobdriveshudson2 Expert Adviser
    Did you move it, or hire it done? Just curious.  I sent a car to TX several years ago.  Bob