automatic transmission that would link to a 232 flat head hudson

bought a 1947 hudson truck and it has a 232 flathead 6  from a 1951 hudson. It  has a 3  speed manual transmission with overdrive. I would like to change to an automatic transmission. what could possibly be put in my truck to link to this engine?

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

You have a bit of a problem as the standard crankshafts are different than the hydromatic ones.  The overdrive is a nice setup but to each his own.  You'd be better off to get a 51 or later big 6, 232 or 262, (308s are a little scarcer and you don't need it) with hydromatic, change the whole engine and tranny and sell the 232 and overdrive.  You'll need to make a cross-member for the tranny as well as the ones for the stepdowns won't fit.

• Just as a note, people use the 232 head to get higher compression. The engine could actually be a 262 or 308 even though it reads "232" on top.
  • There are transmission adapters for putting late model GM aluminum trannys on Hudson's.  Wilcap I think is one of them.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I guess I never noticed but what is the difference between a 1951 crankshaft that has a Hydramatic as opposed to a 1951 crankshaft that has a manual? I have never knowingly tried to put a different transmission on before so not sure what is different. I am aware of the difference between 51-54 and 55-56 though. 
  • You have a bit of a problem as the standard crankshafts are different than the hydromatic ones.  The overdrive is a nice setup but to each his own.  You'd be better off to get a 51 or later big 6, 232 or 262, (308s are a little scarcer and you don't need it) with hydromatic, change the whole engine and tranny and sell the 232 and overdrive.  You'll need to make a cross-member for the tranny as well as the ones for the stepdowns won't fit.

Thanks for the info, trying to learn all I can about this Hudson truck. May possibly change the engine and trans. as you suggested.
  • There are transmission adapters for putting late model GM aluminum trannys on Hudson's.  Wilcap I think is one of them.
    There are transmission adapters for putting late model GM aluminum trannys on Hudson's.  Wilcap I think is one of them.

thanks, I will search for that as a possible solution
    cchancel said:
    Just as a note, people use the 232 head to get higher compression. The engine could actually be a 262 or 308 even though it reads "232" on top.
    thanks!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited August 2018
    There are at least two makers of adapter plates out there for GM automatics to Hudson Engines.  Wilcap is one (http://wilcap.com/hudson.html) and Bentsens (http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Hudson308.htm).  I have bought an adapter for GM trans to Packard V8 from Bentsens, but have no idea about their Hudson adapter.  Bentsens is a bit more expensive than Wilcap, but it does include a starter.  The Wilcap one fits man. trans cranks and my guess is Bentsens will custom make an adapter for what ever you want.  So you can still use the engine you have.

Dany Spring, a Hudson club member, or used to be made adapters at one time but I have not heard about him or his adapters for some time.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Randy Maas in Monito Il sells Adapters too....