Has anybody put a 292 in a 41-47 hudson?

looking for tips on 1966 Chevy 292 swap in a 1947 Big Boy pick up.

i hate doing it but restoring the 212 to working condition would be 3X the entire project budget. 

Comments

• I've seen Chevy 250's,  Nash ohv sixes, and various sizes of Ford inlines including 300cubic inch versions, but I haven't done one myself. I've also seen various V8's used. Just about anything will fit.... your clearance issues will likely be at the pitman arm and/or the center steering pivot. Any engine you use will need to be a rear sump.
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    thank you 

292 is rear sump. pitman arm and center steering won't be an issue as i have no problem putting some of the engine/transmission in the cab. 

hoping someone has fabricated motor mounts to sell to the throngs of people that need them for this conversion. i think they could make millions of dollars.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

The Hudson big 6 (232, 262, 308) block is exactly 2 inches shorter than the 254 8.  All of these engines were used in the stepdowns, using the same motor mount holes, only having to remove the sheet metal filler in front of the rad. and rotating the rad. mounts 180 deg to move the rad. 2 inches forward or back. 

In the 46/47, the big 6 will mount in the 6 cyl radiator holes, as did the 254, and the rad. goes on the cross member on Z brackets as it does for the 254.  Don't know if anyone makes these if you can't scrounge them from an 8, but I made my own.

The big 6s (and the stepdown 254s,) will have an inch or so interference with the steering shaft.  There is room to move the steering box up on the frame to help this problem, or cut the shaft shorter, or relieve the block to clear the shaft.  (Incidentally, the 36 had a vertical adjustment of the steering box on the frame to position the steering wheel up or down.)

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I concur with Uncle Josh, it would be aesthetically better to put say a 232 Hudson engine in, and then you have no chassis modifications, can use the same transmission, and  keep it all Hudson. 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Well just to throw you a curve ball I used a 4.2 liter(254ci) jag engine from a 73xj6 sedan.  Dual carbs and Dohc so twin h times 2.  The engine is 1/2" shorter than the 212 at the head and with an adapter it now uses a gm 350 trans.  I also used the jag rack and pinion power steering and the independent IRS with 2.88 gears.  The jag weighs approx 4400lbs so a 3000lb pickup should do just fine.  Just finished modifying the stock steering column and used a look around shifter kit so the Hudson shift mechanism is still used to look stock.  I also shortened the bed by enough at the front so it is close to the short wheelbase look and also removed approx 6" at the rear.  It is going to look stock to the non purist
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    i agree with uncle Josh as well. i would LOVE to keep it Hudson. 
    none of the engines mentioned are laying around in even small numbers in Alaska. 

i do however own a 292. my Grandfather ordered a 1966 3/4 ton Chevy in 1965 to drive up the Alcan. the truck was used and abused and finally rusted away enough that i pulled its heart (292) and let the body go. (it did a few years as a farm truck hauling hay etc on a Matanuska colony farm in the 70's & 80's) 
    in 1967 My Dad, then 18, bought the '47 Hudson. he and my mom dated in it. it was a basket case then. he took the engine to a machine shop in 1969 and it promptly went out of business. he was able to get the 212 back in multiple boxes. hes dragged it around for the last 50 years. 

In 2018 through shear force of will i have convinced him that "someday" is NOW. 

the front end has new king pins, bushings etc from Kantor, and were piecing the rest together. slowly. it will be pure Hudson chassis (brand new) with the exception of the engine and trans, and they have a story. it should be really cool. it won't be pretty but it will be awesome. 
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    40indians,
    pics or it didn't happen.  :)

sounds VERY cool.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I will try to post some photos from my iPad but it is happening slowly but surely
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    im looking up "look around shifter kit" right now. i think i need one of those.

• KenF
    KenF Member
    google doesn't know what a look around shift kit is. is there a brand name?

• 40indianssgmailcom
    Some six month old photos and that should be a Lokar shift kit.  I should have checked before posting.  I hate it when the machine changes what one types
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I will try again here.  The shift kit is made by lokar and consists of the lever arm that mounts to the trans shaft with a stainless rod and heim joints to the end of the shift mechanism shaft at the bottom of the steering column.  Sorry for the confusion.  Hope the pics show up also
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    ver very cool truck.
    great pictures. 

looks like you slipped the whole Jag under there. 
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    Lokar!

yep, thats going in there. thank you!
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    By the way another pickup owner who lives in Kennewick wa has  a chev inline 6 installed and driving.  With all the aftermarket parts available two carbs and split exhaust manifold would look great.  I thought a ford 300 inch six would be a good swap or a Pontiac overhead cam six if one could be found.  In my opinion a v8 is too short and looks lonely in the engine bay.  Maybe a v10 would look good also
  • this forum needs a like button.
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    split exhaust and two carbs are on the agenda. 
    the 292 is a torque monster with one carb. so it should be a lot of fun.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Many years ago I installed a Ford 302 ,automatic trans. in a 46-47 PU for my father. It was easy. I only had a dirt driveway to work in and a minimum of tools and knowledge.  It had a 308 when he bought it. Worn out!