HEI ignition

Where can I buy an HEI ignition  for my 308 Hornet engine?

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Pertronix,  summit racing sells the units. You can call pertronix and get the part number you need.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited May 2018
    If you're handy with circuits:

I made one like Fig.3. Worked really well.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How about 6 volt + ground?
  • GrimGreaser
    Ah nuts, not with an HEI. They are only happy at 12V as far as I know... Since I converted to 12V I forget about 6V positive ground...  Pertronix would be your best bet then.  Though I'm curious now, and will pick the brain of one of my electrical controls co-workers tomorrow...
  • karl
    karl Member
    I thought I saw a complete HEI GM distributor modified to fit 308 engine. Am I dreaming? If so,  might anyone out there be familiar with who makes this ,modification.
  • GrimGreaser
    edited May 2018
    Not sure about the 6-cylinder HEI but a distributor from a Chrysler slant six just about drops in.  You replace the inner shaft of the Chrysler unit with the Hudson inner shaft and trim a fee thou off the distributor body to fit the 308 distributor bore.  You can then trigger a HEI module with the trigger in the Chrysler unit or run a straight Chrysler electronic ignition.

• I’m running HEI Distributor in my 46 straight 8 Hudson Pickup. It came from Charlie Harris, running 12 volts.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited May 2018
    Karl - Ron Fellows (HET member) of Pennsylvania has made Chevy based HEI distributors for Hudson’s 
  • Val
    Val Member
    I have the pertronix in my 39 for the 212 CID it works fine 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited May 2018
    With today's technology and miniaturization there is really little need to resort to trying to modify the old HEI distributors.  The Pertronix is simple, easy and relatively cheap to buy and install.  Yes for the tinkerers the HEI and Mopar mods might be fun, but in the end just go with the most modern solution.  The fact that Pertronix actually makes these for Hudsons (6V pos ground, plus 12V neg ground for those that have made the conversion) is somewhat amazing!
  • I have a pertronix conversion in my 51 Commodore 8 6volt positive ground that works great.
    The distributor is difficult to get at in the car because it’s very low at the rear. I removed the inner fender and used the recommended coil from Pertronix.  You also have to replace the coil and plug wires with suppression type wires.  Solid copper wires can not be used.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    The Chevy 6 HEI Distributor fits Hudson Block but needs an adapter to extend the Hudson shaft. Ive installed Crane XR700 Point Eliminator Kits in my distributors but they are 12V.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have a pertronix conversion in my 51 Commodore 8 6volt positive ground that works great.
    The distributor is difficult to get at in the car because it’s very low at the rear. I removed the inner fender and used the recommended coil from Pertronix.  You also have to replace the coil and plug wires with suppression type wires.  Solid copper wires can not be used.

I did the same with my 49 8cyl. Looks stock but has very hot spark. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    It is great they have these available now for the 8.  Back in 2005 when i was getting my '50 on the road they offered to do a one off for $350, I said no and rebuilt mine. So another amazing help for the Hudson engines.  I wonder sometimes how many 8s are still on the road?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I keep mine on the road $$$$$$$$$$$$  its just money ! LOL
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thought I should share this, my pertronix is acting up and I think it is done. I spoke with the tech rep from pertronix today. I asked a few questions as to causes. I told him I got my plug wires from YNZ and he informed me that the unit will not work with those wires as they are solid core. It was cause erratic and complete failure of the pertronix ignition and coil. Guess I have to go back to points. Unless I change plug wires   
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I suggest changing S/plug wires....
  • Val
    Val Member
    I still may do that but I am putting points back in for now. Maybe a can find the original look in a wire that will work with the pertronix system
  • You can buy Black original looking 7mm suppression wires from speedway.
    They have them listed in the flat head Ford section.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks, I'll check that out. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    If it is the moroso brand wire set they don't seem to be cloth wrap. But that may be my only option if I want stay with the electronic set up