Fuel Pump fitting

Val
Val Member
I received my pump from Dale and have installed it on the car. The out line that goes to the carb doesn't fit into the pump. I was wondering if others have seen this with pumps they have gotten. I recall 2manyprojects has ordered one too. If anyone has had this issue what was your fix? I thought maybe an adapter. Any suggestions? 

Comments

• iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited May 2018
    The fuel line does not screw directly into the fuel pump, if that's what you're saying.  The fuel line should have a flared nut that would screw into a fitting that is made to accept an inverted flare on one end, and screw into the 1/8 (or is it 1/4?) NPT thread on the fuel pump.  At least I believe that's how my car is set up.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Assuming your fuel line is the standard 5/16, it should have a 1/2 x 20 flare nut on the end.  This would thread into, for example,  a 1/8" NPT male to 1/2" x 20 female adapter.  You can see what these look like here, on the left and center.  https://cunifer.com/hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing/category/45-american-thread-nuts-and-fittings-for-5-16-tubing
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes I have a 1/2 x 20 flare nut  and yes I believe it should be 1/8 NPT that would go into the pump.   Looks like the AD5br is exactly what I need. Hopefully I can buy locally at a hardware store or Harbor Freight or auto parts store 
  • Val, I believe that adapter is fairly common, and one of the few I was able to find at Home Depot, etc.  I had a heck of a time finding the ones I needed for the Twin H carbs, etc.
  • Val
    Val Member
    iceblade10, I found it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Installed and started the car. But has leakage at the block. So I will have to see if I can tighten the two bolts at the pump.   
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Val,

The leakage at the block, is it gas or oil.  If it's gas, the fuel pump diaphragm is bad and gas will dilute the oil in the crankcase.

John
  • Val
    Val Member
    It's oil John. I may have to apply a little permaseal to it and see if that helps it
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Val, the last fuel pump I installed included bolt heat shields that fit inside pump mounting holes from the block side if pump. The mounting bolts then go through front of pump.  The shields I used were a small bit too long and the pump could not be pulled tight to the gasket. I also had a oil leak.  I removed shields and filed them shorter. After reinstallation the oil leak was gone.  
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks for the info Oldfarmer, I removed the pump this evening cleaned the block and used permatex black gasket maker and sealer. But we had Tornado warnings and now severe storms so I will run it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.  
  • Val
    Val Member
    Damn it! Still leaking oil at the block. But nowhere near how it did. So maybe I can just add some more sealer and it be ok. Ill try and tighten the bolts also.