Head Gasket Question

ratlee2
ratlee2 Expert Adviser

I thought it would be a bright idea to run a compression check and spark plug inspection on my newly rebuilt 262.  I screwed the tester into the #1 cylinder before I looked closely at the adapter on the tester.  The tester easily screwed in by hand but it was the smaller thread size.  It dropped past the threads and I can easily turn it, but it wont catch the threads and back out.  The head is going to have to come back off, but my question is, can I reuse the head gasket if I recoat again with copper cote sealant?  I torqued it down 3 times after 3 heat cycles and have maybe 10 miles of driving on it.  I don't want to drop another 100 bucks on one if I don't need to.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Rich 

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I would spray it with aluminum paint and re-use it.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

If sprayed K&W Copper its pretty sticky so I would inspect both sides of gasket to ensure its all intact then re spray with K&W Copper Kote then hang until it gets real tacky then install torqing after heat cycles again.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Remember, compression will go up as motor is broken in and the rings seat.
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

Thanks for the advice guys, I will inspect it and give it a go.  What are acceptable compression values on a 262?  I had the following numbers at wide open throttle, operating temp, and all spark plugs removed:

1=125lbs

2=125lbs.

3=125lbs.

4=130lbs

5=125lbs.

6=130lbs.

I am used to seeing numbers from small block Fords, but I know these were lower compression engines.

Thanks,

Rich

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Rich, Those are good Numbers for 262 " Hudson and all within 5#'s..I agree with Kerry they may go up some after seated but nowhere near SB Ford readings...
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the confirmation on the numbers Ol racer.  Now on to tackling the head removal.