Aluminum head on ebay

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited April 2018 in HUDSON
Just got a note back on this one. It only measures 1.88 thickness. Wall hanger!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292486017606?ul_noapp=true
  (stock is supposed to be 2" although I have never measured one at that)  Hudson said no more then .060 milled off so that puts minimum at 1.94" 

Comments

• drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Do you know what they started out as , and what the least they can be milled to . The alum. And the Iron . Thanks John 

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Mine measures 1.996 from the bottom surface to the bolt surface where the head bolt and washer meet.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    My friend Rudy Bennett shared the following link.  I plan to call Summit on Monday to Findout what they are doing to obtain the varied thickness head gaskets.  Looks like a problem solver?

https://www.summitracing.com/search?PageSize=50&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=308%20hudson%20head%20gasket
  • Kdancy
    edited April 2018
    Might help. Rudy and I had discussed this several years ago and I had checked on having some thicker head gaskets made. I can't find any listing for these on the SCE gasket site. Might call them later.
  • Kdancy
    Ken, I was wondering about that.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I would think that another big problem would be blowing out the internal water jacket.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    So - given todays scanning technologies - I'd think someone could take a pristine or near pristine aluminum head and get it 3d scanned.

Just think you could then fix anything design wise (couple mils thicker maybe), then mill from an aluminum block?

Not saying they'd be cheap...but period correct parts aren't cheap either!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Ken - Thanks! That's awesome information - I've not ever really looked into how someone might go about it - but maybe if someone could get original blueprints (I'd imagine that's how they did it in the day) to re-enter into a cad type program - that you'd have to cut up a head to be able to scan the internals.

I would certainly like to have on of those on heads my 51 someday, but the cost and not being able to see it person have always kept me away.

• Kdancy
    Rudy and Chucks design offers better performance then the stock Hudson design. If one were going to be produced, theirs would be the one.
  • Kdancy
    Yep, if not for this shyster there would be a lot of Hudsons with these heads.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    If anyone is going to get serious about making aluminium 308 heads they need to be made thicker than 2".
    An aluminium head of similar design to the standard steel head has less than half of the stiffness of the steel head, Jack Clifford recognised this and produced a 3" thick aluminium head to compensate for the lack of stiffness. 
  • Kdancy
    edited April 2018
    Note to me from Rudy, 

this was a topic when we were trying to cover all bases, The cyl head takes the most heat on gas and Diesel engines  and while working for Caterpillar tractor the cylinder head was built with more that enough Iron to hold as much water as can be..

The Clifford cyl head holds a bit less water that our B-F Head, and that is due to the ribs cast inside on the floor of the  head running the full length inside of the head...

We did not have the casting ribs added to the floor of our head because the ribs hold heat and harder for the water to flow from front to rear of the head.   (the ribs were there to help the sealing of the gasket between the head bolts  on the starter side on the 308 engine with Clifford's head.

The head needs lots of fee flowing coolant to keep it cool and cause less Detonation in the cylinders  so, the more space inside of the head between the inside top and inside bottom the better power the engine can make due to less Detonation.

More-

Combustion Chamber:

1. The combustion chambers were designed to yield the most flow with a high compression ratio.

2. There are no two chambers alike (each one is different).

3. Chambers are 80cc which yields an 8.4 to 1 compression ratio in a 308 engine.

4. The max depth of the chambers at the back of the valves is 0.52 inches (intake) 0.49 (exhaust),

**Note: the highest lift cams are 0.446 and original Hudson cams are from 0.350 to 0.390

**Note: the valves are tilted at about 7 degrees.

5. The slope from the combustion chamber to inside the cylinder is 52 ½ degrees.

6. The spark plug has been relocated to the center of the chamber, and a long reach spark plug is to be utilized, 14MM, ¾ Reach, 13/16 Hex such as N12YC.

7. V. B. reduced the perimeter of the combustion chamber 1/32, to allow fore variances.

The head has completed several testing actions
    · The Twin Vortex feature of this new aluminum head was flow tested. The modified combustion chamber was compared to the combustion chamber of a stock head. What we learned was the new head created a vortex which flowed around the valves towards the piston and out the intake valve. The stock chamber flow patterns indicated kick back of the flow to both valves.

Rudy Bennett credits Chuck Fellows, also an avid Hudson fan, with the combustion chamber design and testing. The product shown is the result of months of research into the successes and failures of past flat head engine head design. Coupling this with practical flow testing a final design was produced which is incorporated into the TWIN VORTEX head

• Kdancy

This is the Brochure that Rudy and Chuck had made up for the new head.