POWER STEERING CONVERSION

I am interested in adding power steering to a 1947 Hudson Commador 8. How was it done originally? Can I simply aquire a power box to replace my manual box? Has any one used a different box or rack and pinion?

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    47s did not have a PS options only '54 and later.  Best option is to go to electric PS, but you will need to switch to a 12V system to do it.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

Ive installed GM Power Rack & Pinion to my Straight Axle Hudson's then mounted the P/S Pump to the Hornet motor. It was not difficult.. However, '47's are Coil Suspension so need to extend the Steer shaft down to the Rack using a small universal joint with a 3/4" Heim and fabricate a mounting bracket. Rack's come in different widths but be sure to get a Rack from a 'Rear Steer' car.. Might have to shorten or lengthen the tie rod sleeves slightly and maybe make a bushing into steering Arm's...Lastly, Might have to shorten Steering Arms slightly because Rack's don't have the range to turn real sharp.... Can be done but may be a Project..

Additionally, last Yr at the Eastern Regional, there was a beautiful light colored '30's or early '40 Hudson Sdn there that had a Toyota P/S Box that he said practically bolted in, however, I don't recall the year of car or if had a Coil Suspension... Perhaps like Ken U Tex suggested, John Pontius might know more...

• This gives me some good starting points to look at, thanks everyone. Not much is remaining original with this car, the old shift linkage and column will not be used as there is now a small block Chevy/ TH350 installed. This is a customer's car sent to my shop because I am known for custom builds not OEM. We are close to completing a 2 year rotisserie restoration of the body and steering is one of the last frame/suspension mods to be made.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited March 2018
    Since the car has been heavily moded already and probably 12V system I again would recommend electric PS as it would be the easiest to install in such a case and no need to mess with the front steering gear etc.  There are several threads here on this subject  on this forum and many youtube videos on low coast approaches.  I am installing such a system in my '58 Studebaker pickup as I can eliminate one extra belt and pulley and have a much cleaner engine compartment without the pump hoses, etc.

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/170047/electric-power-steering/p1
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I would install a GM Tilt Column with the GM P/S Box or run a shaft to a Power Rack.then any modern St Rod Wiring Kits would plug right into the GM column Plugs.. ( I installed a few Tilt's in my '37 & 47 Hudson's...Have many choices....
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    column with electric unit installed.
  • Kdancy
    here is unit mounted 

• Kdancy
    unit viewed from inside
  • Kdancy
    First testing, trashed this and built the riser.
  • 50C8DAN
    That looks great, so the bridge over works well?  This should be the way to go if it works as good as it looks.  If one wants to go with the GM tilt columns they also come ready to go using Ididit units:  http://www.jegs.com/p/Unisteer/Unisteer-Electra-Steer-ididit-Steering-Column-Kits/3029244/10002/-1
  • Back in the day..... I did use the mustang power steering cyl. I was located underneath. You had to weld an "eye" on the drag link, but worked great on many cars. I had a 28 chevy stock axle that I did it on. Pretty easy, keep all your steering parts, etc. The cyl. are still avaliable. Hope this helps.