Hudson 8

1936 Hudson  8

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/1936-hudson-8/6522196662.html

Saw an this on Craigslist today 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    My only question about this car is: why hasn't someone snapped it up already?
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    If it looks to good to be true then it is
    Buyer beware
  • That's what I thought. 
  • Which model sedan is this..long wheel base, regular, what? If it's real , what are there really worth? My interest is peaking. Any advice regarding this model? Thanks.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    It looks to be the long wb, but not sure if it is a deluxe or custom?  A #3 custom per Old Cars says $9950, a deluxe is $11,790.  It does have a magic hand shifter but not sure that tells you much about which model.  I always take the Old Cars estimates as a stake in the ground and then go from there.  Everyone has their ratings etc.  Best thing to do is contact the seller and get more info. As noted above, it looks pretty good for the money and a nice looking vehicle anyway.  I love '36 and '37s anyway and a Great 8 is also a favorite.
  • The body damage, the interior seats are shot and it looks like it's been sitting, I see thousands.  Price guide says most cars at a car show are 3's. This car looks like a 4, even though very striking. Unfortunately, most sellers, especially if there is an emotional connection, don't realize or are willing to realize the expense today to have any work done on these beauties. 
  • 50C8DAN
    I think and on site inspection is needed before any of us can really say what the auto is worth.  It is somewhat of a rare beast but it does need work.  If I was the seller I might start where he is and be willing to be realistic if a decent offer comes along.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I don't think the seller really knows much about it....or about selling a car.  My guess is that the family suddenly inherited Granddad's old cars, has no interest in or knowledge of them, and needs to get rid of them.
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Looks ok.   From pictures price could be right like all have said could change after look see.  
  • 50C8DAN
    My wife would kill me if I even mentioned buying another car, but I would love to have one of these as it is really a great vehicle, and you dont see many around.
  • Any club member in that area that can check it out if needed?
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I have talked to the owners son his dad has had the car for 50 years it was blue when they got it and it was painted white for the movie the god father and has been in many movies it is a model 64 120 inch wheel base his dad is still alive and want to sell the car I talked to his son and he sent me a lot of video of the car I can forward these emails to someone who would be able to post them some how on the form I do not know how to do that I also told him the car was over priced.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2018
    I remember the car well, from the wedding scene early in the movie.  Here is a still from the shot: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_66973-Hudson-Eight-1936.html .  Here is the actual film clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrRAtfbFV4
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited March 2018
    "g__damn FBI don't respect nothin!' " (a quote from Sonny Corleone shortly after this YouTube scene).
  • Considering it's condition, and we don't know when it's been run last, what type of service it needs, what would you speculate its value is?

• Rocket
    he told me they were going to get it running this weekend as to what it is worth I would not pay any more then $4000.00 and that is only if you plan on driving it as it is not worth any more than that.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    it is worth what someone will pay and the owner is willing to accept.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'll bet when they go to start it they'll find:
    1. The valves are stuck.
    2. The clutch is stuck.
  • 50C8DAN
    Again no comment until someone that is skilled to judge actually sees the car.  $4,000 seems to be pretty cheap unless the body is in really bad shape.
  • Since it doesn't sound like they really know what they are doing, they are more likely to do more harm than good in their efforts to get it running. They should leave it alone and sell it as is.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Even if you get a car for free that needs to be restored, the restoration costs often are shocking and most of time are way more that the car is worth. Ask me how I know.
  • Rocket
    Just so you know these people have been around Hudsons longer then some of you have been members if you rely want to know just give them a call great guy to talk to I know because I called him.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wonder if the sellers are going to list this in the WTN?
  • hudsonjeff
    hudsonjeff Senior Contributor

$4000 seems very cheap. What do you get now days for that $