254 Camshaft Wanted

Uncle Josh
Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
Anybody got a good 8 cyl camshaft you don't need?  Tryin to build a bare block into an engine someone can use.

Comments

• I have a couple that are not perfect, but might run.  I sent a couple off to egge and had them build up and regrind them.  They came back nice and are now in engines.  I think we took apart 10 254’s and only found one or two ok cams.  
  • Uncle Josh
    I have one with only one bad lobe.  Do you have an idea what Egge would charge to fix it?
  • Seems like it was around $250. It was so much to grind and so much a lobe to fix, and ours had at least one bad lobe.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Make sure you use a high zinc oil. These were more prone to wear than any other Hudson design.
  • Check with the Railton Owners Club, they had a batch of 8 cyl. Cams redone.  I think. They’ve done that a couple of times and sell them exchanged. Ed
  • Uncle Josh
    One on the way.  Thanks Durandjv
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Dale Cooper sells new lifters.   These are a poor design compared to the earlier roller lifters, which of course had a smooth rolling action  on the cam, resulting in virtually no wear on the cam or roller.   The pins used to wear sometimes, but nowhere as much as the shoe type lifters. I suppose it was a compromise between reshaping the cam and using a wider radius lifter, and after all, who would have expected these cars to last as long as they have?   The first '29 Hudson motor I  stripped had been rebored several times, and sleeved back to standard size, but there was no detectable wear on the lifter rollers or pins, whereas every engine from '34 on that I have worked on  has either worn lifters or cam, or both, sometimes extreme.  One thing that does not wear is the lifter guide.   Here endeth the lesson!