Cloth Headliner for 49 stepdown coupe

Trevor J
Trevor J Expert Adviser

Does anyone know who makes the cloth headliners for 49 Hudson Stepdowns at a reasonable cost please.

Thanks Trevor NewZealand

Comments

• Trevor, There is a company in California that makes Hudson headliners to OEM specs. The hitch is that you have to order them from a trim shop . They don't sell direct. Acme Auto Headlining in Long Beach  is the outfit you need to contact and see where they can supply a trim shop local to you for your needs .  Good luck Trevor.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I got mine from Kanter for my 49 sedan. It was 20 years ago , but they probably still supply them.
    Good quality and fit than , now?
  • www.Kanter.com do them and will send fabric samples to NZ free of charge along with a catalog that has a discount code.
    www.lebaronbonney.com also do them and I have a feeling they are the ones kanter use. Anyway they will also send fabric samples etc but charge from memory.

do you still have your old one that can be used for a template? I went around a few places from Asburton to Oamaru and the general price to get one made up and fitted was $400 -$500. Im sure in a city with more competition you could get it cheaper.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    I got mine from SMS a few years ago.  They must have some pretty good templates because I was told it was very easy to install.

I don't remember what I paid for it so I can't comment on whether it was a reasonable cost or not.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    SMS auto fabric Oregan
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Mine was SMS, fit perfectly, a little slow in shipping but worth the wait.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi everyone.

Thanks very much.  That has given me a few leads to follow up

Regards

Trevor

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

these things are easy to install by the way.  Start near the center with the bow that locks in place. Work forward then back rotating each bow into position, tucking it up under the metal strip on the sides as you go, then fasten and trim at the sides and end windows.  Easier if windows are out, but can be done with them in.  Originally they used tacks, but a product named 'Goop' at your hardware store has quick stick and will peel paint the next morning.  Staple until it sets. 

Keep it reasonably tight, and when you're done, put a steaming teakettle in the car until the wrinkles shrink out.  Probably will need new windlace also.  Kanter will send you samples to pick from.  Stuff has a continuous tab that tucks in same as headliner at the top, and behind the panels at the sides.  Use Goop or an adhesive of your choice.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Be extra careful to not get the bows mixed up! They are all different.
  • E6000 is similar to Goop except it is slightly more flexible. i.e.: can bend easier when dry, but will not release or stretch. Almost the same.
    ALSO>>  Aleene's Fabric Fusion. Fabric glue, extremely tough. 
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi There.

Thanks for the advise.  Re the glue probably not available in NewZealand. Trevor NZ