Vintage Full Flow kits

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
Does anyone know if Frank's family or whomever is still offering the oil filter kits?  I tried to send a request through the website, which still appears to be working, and it does not seem to do anything.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

I would contact the HET chapter where Frank was a member to find your answer.

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Better yet, call Frank's wife Patty Hughes and talk to her directly to avoid any false information and rumor (page 144 in the new roster).  She won't mind the call.

John Forkner  

• 50C8DAN
    I talked to Patty Hughes about the oil filter kits that Frank used to make.  Apparently when he passed he did not have any made up and accordingly she does not have any to sell.  She is looking for someone to help make them and as soon as she does there will be a note in the WTN.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Contact Walt.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    The oil filter setup that Walt sells is not actually a full flow design like the setup Frank engineered. It is a remote filter base that uses a spin on full flow type filter. Frank's design is an actual full flow system. Not arguing the merits of either.
  • 50C8DAN
    For those that want to understand how Frank's design works his website is still up:

http://www.vintagefullflow.com

This is by far the most advanced filtering system for the later Hudson 6s.  For the earlier engine and the H8s other options would be needed as these would be splasher type oiling and could not use Frank's approach.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    As far as I can tell from the gallery pics, the filter attaches to the passenger side of the engine where the mechanical fuel pump normally rests.  In that case, you would have to use an electric fuel pump in order to install one these, correct?  
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    That' just a convienent place to mount it. It can be mounted anywhere if you're willing to run the proper lines.
  • 50C8DAN
    Frank's website is still up! Anyone have any updates on the kit. As noted the last I talked to Patty Hughes she was looking for someone to take on the project and produce the kits as Frank had wanted.
  • 50C8DAN
    Anyone know anything about the filter project.  I am assuming it is dead?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
     Rudy Bennett in El Paso Tx made a Full Flow Unit by taping into the Oil Pump then mounted a Spin On Filter. Additionally, Butch Smith installed a similar Full Flow Unit on his Stroker Motor. Butch actually had a 'Billet' (Not welded) Stroker Crankshaft made for his Super Charged Hornet Motor. 
  • 50C8DAN
    That is interesting but Frank had the kit all ready to go and even made some casting supposedly but after his death, the project stopped.  
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    It was sad to see it pass with him.  I would have liked to have had one on my 212 splasher engine. 
  • 50C8DAN
    edited July 2021
    These kits were only for the last I6 engines (not including the Jet 6).  The 232, 262 and 308 had pressurized oiling, not splasher so the kit would not have worked on earlier splasher 8s or 6s.  Frank also had a design for flathead Chrysler engines and received a US patent for his designs.
  • BigSky
    I’m pretty sure this shows the kit on a Splasher but I could be wrong.

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I'm 99% certain Franks kits were only for 50's Hudson sixes in the, for lack of a better term, "308" family.  Also the Chrysler sixes, as they had the same basic set-up.  I don't recall any mention of Splashers on his website.  
  • BigSky
    I vaguely remember talking to him about it but it was long ago.  Here is another picture of his full flow on a splasher engine.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, that is a full flow filter system, but I don't think it is the same as the  Pressure fed motors '48-56.   the basic flow pattern is from the large intake pipe to the centre of the pump, and the outlets to each filter, and thence to the pressure switch at the back and the  feed at the front.   Ingenious.  the pressure fed system would have only one filter.   
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Old posts from Frank describe his personal actions to filter the 212.  He stated that the system satisfied his engineering curiosity but was not something he would produce for sale.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Easy enough to fabricate for the 212 and 169 using conventional full-flow filters
  • BigSky
    I’ve always been told that it’s not a good idea to possibly impede the flow on a splasher.  However having a filter system, even if only partially filtering, would be nice to have just as long as it didn’t create an issue with oil flow.  
    I’ve never seen anything like that which holds the filters, anyone seen them?   It’s too bad this was lost with his passing…
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    So long as the filters are put on the output side  of the pump there is no issue.  If you want full flow filtering you will need two filters, one each between the outputs of the pump and the delivery  fittings to the block. 
  • GaryH
    GaryH Member
    Frank had engineered a way to fit his full flow on a splasher.  Just before passing we were looking at installing it on my 1941 travelers with a 212 but ran into clearance challenges on the short wheel base.   If I am not mistaken he was using the oil pump that was used to move oil to the top of the engine.  He had performed pressure tests in his usual meticulous manner and was convinced it would work on the splasher.  He may have ended up installing it on one or two splashers.