Hydra-Matic adjustment

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
I have the manuals, but this old brain gets confused rather quickly ...lately!  My 53 Hydra-Matic 2-3 shift is way too early. otherwise just fine. How do I get it to delay that shift point a little?

Comments

• Dave, I believe it's as simple as adjusting the nuts on the kickdown rod on the bellcrank that comes off the engine block.  One direction makes it shift sooner, the other makes it shift later...
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Use small changes.  It does not take much to make a significant change in the way it shifts.

Jay

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I believe shortening the Rod 1 or 2 turns will delay shifts. Loosen rear Nut then Tighten front Nut. Just mark or count the Nut revolution then rotate one turn at time and you can always go back. 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Thanks guys. Will give it a shot this afternoon.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Super Dave - I found on my '54 Hornet that by lengthening the rod I got a much better shift pattern, but turn the outer nut only about 1/2 turn at a time, as the change comes on very quickly.  Then make sure your tighten the rear nut good when you get it where you want it.

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    My shifts were early, and downshifts when coming to a stop were abrupt and harsh.  I lengthened rod.  Solved problem but now I have a little slip in 2-3 shift especially when I nail it.  Gus said this is to be expected as the 2-3 shift is the most complicated.  This can be further corrected by a slight lengthening.  Hope this indicates how small the adjustments should be made.  If your upshifts are slow and delayed, shorten rod.