Underseat Heater Option on Hornets

Hi Folks:

Am trying to get some information on the underseat heater option that came from factory on my 53 Hornet.  This Hornet doesn't have the heater control valve in the firewall; but has the box-like assembly under the dash just like my other stepdown. Question did the factory produce them that way without a front heater feature or heater control valve or could both features of front heater and underseat heater be ordered, or did someone remove or tamper with the heater control valve somewhere down the line?  There is a plate covering the area where the heater control valve would normally be located. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    My 78 Volvo wagon has an electric element but it's gets no use in temperate New Zealand!!
  • Bob, The under seat heater was an option Hudson had which routed hot radiator fluid from the engine bay to the under seat heater via long rubber hoses. If your car does not have a Ranco valve for the passenger compartment heater then perhaps your car did not come with a heater(?).  If your car came with a heater it would have had a heater control valve with it.  
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    As I recall, the underseat heater was a dealer installed item.  Factory required dealer to stock at least one - we had one in stock for so long the cardboard box deteriorated.  I don't believe anyone ever tried to sell the item because the Weather Master Heater was so efficient.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited December 2017
    Here's a link to a previous discussion about stepdown under seat heaters, December 2008.  I have a NOS one out in the garage but can't get to it at the moment.

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/comment/92324/#Comment_92324

John Forkner
  • Onerare39:  When you get to the NOS one, if it is for the stepdowns, perhaps you could email me as I am not sure I have all the components for the one in my car. Would like to put it back to original.  Thanks. popgun7@comcast.net or 717-360-4910.
  • Finally got around to removing the front seat from my Hornet and get a full view of the underseat heater.  See pic attached. Problem is I don't see a control switch anywhere to control the unit like the one pictured in the post in the link shared by onerare39 above.  If anyone has a complete unit with the correct Hudson part # as depicted in the link, I would be interested in it?  Thanks and happy holidays.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Bob, some of the installations use a dual switch which control the water valve and the electrical motor control is hooked to both blower installations. Perhaps yours was installed as described. 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Bob,

Here are some photos of my underseat heater kit.  I will send them to you via email also.

John Forkner