What is this 1926 Essex worth?

Saved this car from the crusher and have too many things going on to restore it.
 It is a rust free car. Sat in an airplane hanger since the 50’s. Surface rust only. Engine turns. Wood needs replaced.
I would like to sell it but not sure what it is worth. 
Can anybody give me a rough estimate of what it might be worth?
Thanks!

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Obviously in need of heaps of T.L.C., and unless you are able to do the work yourself would cost far more to restore than you  would ever get for it. Ball-park figure here in N.Z.  would be around $1,00 to 1,500 for a basket case, but in  th end it's only worth what someone will pay for it.  You could try ebay and see what happens, but  my fear is that the rodders will get it.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If someone doesn't buy it to restore, it would be a goldmine of parts to help restore another Essex.  When you go to sell it, someone (like myself) would be happy to help you list it in the Hudson club magazine at no cost.  (This will be your most cost-effective ad since the ad is read by Hudson and Essex people, and of course it's free.)  You can e-mail me when ready to sell, and I'll give you the information.  xxxdetailed@verizon.net  (delete the xxx before sending).  The next ad deadlines are Feb. 1, April 1, and June 1. 

You can of course list it here on the forum (under CLASSIFIEDS / Vehicles) at no charge. 

You would also want to list it in Hemmings Motor News which goes exclusively to old car owners and has a huge readership, though it will probably cost you at least $25 to run a modest classified ad.
  • Thanks for the replies!
    I thought the thing it really has going for it is it has no rust except surface rust and the engine turns. It definitely needs a lot of work but looks to be a good candidate for a restore.
    The doors on it are excellent and have an extra pair of nice doors and an extra quarter panel with it.
    I am just trying to figure a fair price from you guys that know the values of these old gems.
    thanks and please keep the replies coming!
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    it's a parts car or money pit. Not a big market for restored cars of that age and style.

With bad wood , most rodders wouldn't want it either.

Check ebay sales ( not asking prices)
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Let's be honest here, it is $15,000 away from being on the road and $35,000 away from being a restored car.  If you can do all the work yourself you might cut 15 % off.  When finished it is a $8 to 10 thousand car.  Parts may have some value but $1,000 is about right....

• Let's be honest here, it is $15,000 away from being on the road and $35,000 away from being a restored car.  If you can do all the work yourself you might cut 15 % off.  When finished it is a $8 to 10 thousand car.  Parts may have some value but $1,000 is about right....

you are right about what it would cost to put on the road, but how many people are working on 26 Essex,s?, not many. I would say $500.00 value and that would be generous, considering what is missing and what it would cost to move it 
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    If I bought it, it would end up a speedster........
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    $500 tops.
  • Curious, What did he decide on its worth? and where is it at?.
  • Thanks for all of the comments! I appreciate your opinions! I have it listed in a few places for $1500 and have had a lot of interest but no takers. Will keep trying!