Stepdown rear wheel cylinders

J Spencer
J Spencer Expert Adviser
Looking for application or part# for rear cylinders for my 51 Pacemaker or verification on what I found. I researched and found that cylinders from a 1971 Ford Thunderbird are the same size(15/16. These also fit other Ford models plus AMC, Jeeps, Nash & Hudsons 1956,57 plus more. So I purchased a couple from Auto zone, compared them to original and they look OK. I mounted one and then held a shoe in place and it centered OK on the cylinder. The only difference I see is the line screws directly into the cylinder where the factory one has a short brass fitting in the cylinder that the line screw into. Any one tried these or?  My original can be rebuilt but the pistons are kinda pitted and rough.  My years of being a mechanic tells me this will work but I am probably just second guessing myself.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    My Hudson Restoration Website has this listing... I do not have a Hollander that will show your find to those posted. But this may allow you to confirm your selected part.  Merry Christmas  Ken

• J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Old Farmer, thanks for your reply, the 33600-601 are the # cylinders I got at Auto Zone although when I got there and gave them those #'s from their web site they had a different # but on the receipt it show both #'s.  I will save your website for future use
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    They work just fine, but you have to jiggle the bend in  the  brake pipe a little.
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Geoff, I am making all new lines. Rear brakes were barely working as the cylinders were almost seized and the brake hose was almost plugged and the lines are original and grundgy inside. One would think the brake job I did for the previous owner in 1986 could have lasted longer. LOL.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Ha ha!   I have just completed  re-commissioning a 1949 Coupe that was last registered in 1981, and had to all the same things as you have done.  That's one blessing of the real old cars with mechanical brakes - just a bit of penetrating oil on the linkages and you are away!
    Geoff