weather master

Val
Val Member
In one of my sales pamphlets it states " you new Hudson can be equipped with a new Hudson Weather Master Fresh Air and Heat control with an air filter that fits snugly under the cowl ventilator" I do have a heater but not a filter for the cowl ventilator. Are these still available? What did the system require??    

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wasn't this the duct -- introduced in '39-40 -- that scooped fresh air from the cowl vent and directed it through the heater radiator?  It might have been an option, when buying the heater.  (The heater was a stand-alone box; the Weather Master partly enclosed it, I think.) Since it's a kind of duct / shroud / plenum / baffle, it's molded exactly to the contours of the dashboard and probably notched around any obstructions.  So you might have to salvage one from a same-year Hudson as yours.  I'm guessing that they bolted on rather than were welded.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Jon B as I said I do have the heater but have no ducting at all. So I am not sure what any of it looked like or how it mounted. If you or anyone reading can explain this or have a diagram or photo that would be most helpful. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    OK I spoke with Denny from Wildrick's last night about this and he will ask Doctor Doug about it as to the availability. He said I may to change heaters if nothing is available in the way of the weather master. If so what is a good one to switch to?  
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    The WeatherMaster Heater was introduced during the 1939 campaign, and was actually an upgrade to the standard heater available up to that point.  So in other words, there were more than one type of heater available during the 1939 model year. It sounds to me like Val's car has the previous style heater which was simply a hot water unit with coolant from the engine running thru it's core and a blower motor mounted at the rear of the heater to blow warm air out into the passenger compartment.  It did not have the intake of outside air thru the cowl vent as the WeatherMaster did.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Yes my car has the deluxe heater that has the coolant from the engine that runs through it. But it is to my limited understanding the weather master was a dealer option that was an add on to the heaters from that and previous years. Am I wrong on that ? 
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I would think the WeatherMaster would have to have been a factory installed itemdu e to the fact that the heater box was directly attached to the cowl vent.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Hhhmmm, maybe but as I recall reading it was a dealership brochure that said " you dealer can install"  but I may be wrong in thinking
  • The Weather -Master was a  dealer installed option according to a Hudson Accessory sheet. List price at the dealer was $6.95
    I h I have pulled one unit out of a 39 CC sedan, and plan to install it in my 92 series.
      It may be a challenge with the heater and radio in the way. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks for the pics Kel 39 that is the first time I have ever seen one. I would like to find one for my 92 as well. Please let me know how you installed it and how difficult it was via this post or PM. Thanks   
  • Val
    Val Member
    I saw this advertised here also

• Val
    Val Member
    edited October 2018
    If anyone has one of these for the 1939 cars to sell or that they would be willing to loan (as my local club president says we can copy and make one) please let me know
  • Val
    I had planed install my Weather Master in my '39 Hudson Six, but am going to install VW 6 volt wiper electric wipers and there will not be enough room for the WeatherMaster.
    If you are interested, contact me at :- email darleen2@telus.net

Ivan L
  • Val
    Val Member
    Email sent
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Looks like it's missing some other part maybe a part to mount it  is missing 
  • Charles4d, what makes you say that? Do you have a photo or something that may shed some light> I thought I had all printed info on it but I may be wrong