Removing tie rod ends on 1936 Terraplane equipped with Torque Arms.

Hi folks...I am new on this forum, but been in Hudsons forever. I hope someone here can help with a problem. 

Upon changing the Tie Rod ends on my 1936 Terraplane, the tie rod passes thru holes in the 2 torque arms. But those holes prevent the tie rod from going down enough to get the tie rod ends out of their holes in the steering arms. Is there anything that needs to be done to facilitate this? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Open Forum, Rocket.  I'm sure that someone will jump in here momentarily to answer your question.

• Thank you Jon.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited September 2017
    You may need to remove the steering arm on at least one side of the car. The steering arm has a taper and a key where it fits into the axle and can be hard to dislodge.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The torque arms actually "break" at the clearance hole for the tie rod.  If one were to remove the arm's pivot pin and pull the arm down, one could unbolt the rear portion of the arm, thus releasing the tie rod.  So technically, the tie rod is not trapped.  Or so it appears to me, from looking in the shop manual.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jon, 1936 is different from your '37.   The torque arms have holes in  them which the tie rod goes through. In this case the tie rod needs to be turned so that both of the ends unscrew completely.  They are left and right hand thread, so turning the tie rod in  the require rotation  will unscrew them
  • Geoff, my tie rod is quite rusted...how to get it to turn...with a pipe wrench? I was hoping to get it off the car somehow and work on the tie rod at the bench.
  • It is soaking with penetrating oil right now, tomorrow will do as Geoff suggested, turn the rod.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pipe wrench will work fine.   We call the "Stillsons" over here.  Just loosen the clamps each end and away   you go!
  • Rocket88 said:
    Geoff, my tie rod is quite rusted...how to get it to turn...with a pipe wrench? I was hoping to get it off the car somehow and work on the tie rod at the bench.
    Rocket if you haven't gotten them off yet try using a 50/50 mixture of acetone/ATF. Works well,better than any penetrating oil.
  • Rocket88
    Rocket88 Member
    edited October 2017
    Thanks everyone for all the advice, esp. Geoff, who's suggestion saved the day. 

Sorry I haven't replied lately...the job is finished, all is well.