36 Terraplane charging system

Looking to upgrade the charging system on my 36 Terraplane 61 from the cut off switch to actual regulator. Understand this requires changing the generator.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Best if you change the generator with a matched pair form a  post-war (to 1955), but  you can modify your existing generator to two-brush system with a suitable regulator.
  • Thanks. Anyone with the later generator and matching regulator let me know.
  • Or you could explore the option buy a single wire 100amp 6 volt positive alt kit and do away with the gen altogether - cheaper option as you do away with the cut out/ regular as well
  • I'll look into that. Wondering if that wouild require other electrical changes. Like a resistor on the ignition coil or condensor on the points?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, 6volts is 6 volts!  No changes necessary.
  • My 61 has the regulator,it has always had it since we owned it. Not sure if its because the car came with electric hand and heater or if it was upgraded prior to 1978,but the set up looks factory.
  • yeah, from what i have read a 61 with a radio or any electric accs. like a heater came with a different gen and a regulator. Can't understand why they didn't just put the reg on all the cars.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Unless you're a stickler for originality, you could probably find a later, more powerful Hudson generator that would fit right in and look very similar to the original 1936 one.  I only discovered a few years ago that the generator on my '37 was from a newer Hudson and had a higher output! 

If necessary, upgrade to a newer voltage regulator that mates with the generator.  Which itself will look very similar to the one your '36 would have had, had it come with a regulator and not a cut-out.

These sort of upgrades are very subtle but make the car much more "roadable", but without radically altering the apperance (as they would if, for instance, you changed to an alternator).