Buy WHEEL new or used for my Hudson Essex

I need 2 wheels. Have a photo but I don't know how to send it here.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    See HOW TO POST PICTURES at our "Instructions & Tips" category http://openforum.hetclub.org/categories/forum-instructions-tips

What year of Essex do you have?
  • Mu car is a essex roadster 4P. Year 1929. 
  • Will it be difficult to find them?
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    There are many similar looking wheels, that use similar center hub with 6 bolt holes on a 6 inch circle.
    The '29 Essex used 60 spokes, with a 20 inch tire mounted.
    Many wheel variations with tire sizes from 20", 19" 18" tires, using the 6 bolts on 6 inch circle. Number of spokes from 40 to 72 per wheel.
    I often see wheels that have my hopes up, but seldom see the correct one I'm looking for.  
    Most wheels found have required work, on Lock rings and it's groove.
    Please call 517 Two 6 three  366 six
    Hans

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    what are the particulars concerning the wheels you have and want?
    what size tire diameter at rim?
    number of spokes?   Inner  and  outer as attached to center hub.
    Picture looks like 6 bolt holes thru center hub to brake drum.  are they on a 6 inch circle? 
    I would expect a '29 to have 6 mounting bolts on a 6 inch circle, with 20 inch tires and 60 spokes.
    What do you have so we can help you.
    Hans
  • Okay, I'll look at it tomorrow and we'll talk

Thanks, 

Manu

• Hello Hans,  I atached the photos of my whell. Sending drawing with measures too. 
    Have 60 spokes with 20 inch tires. 6 bolts. 
    It's the same as the one you describe.  I need two wheels for the spare tires. New or a good used. 

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Yes, I am now sure of the wheels you require.

It is amazing how many different wheels will bold on to the 6 inch 6 bolt hubs.  Even the 1929 Chevrolet DISC wheel has the same bolt pattern.

Where are you located?   Do You or any one you know come to the Hershey Meet in October?

Hershey Pennsylvania, USA.

• Hello, 
    We Live in Spain and the others year we have been in the fair, but this year we can´t attend. 
    But we would like to be able to solve it before October. Could we see the possibility of sending it to Spain ?.

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor

My communications have been intended to be helpful to you and others of us readers in identifying your needs.
    After 80 plus years many changes could have been made to a car. With your pictures and drawing we now know what you need.

I have never seen a New old wheel, all have required cosmetic repair up to major repair as replacement of spokes and work in the snap ring grove area.

Hershey is one of the best places to find your needs but with your information many more will be better informed.

I have heard some groups of Hershey attendees, ie. Sweden  and Germany arrange shipment of large quantities of parts and even cars  from there.  Perhaps you may have associates from Spain that do the same thing.

It is always best to see what you purchase so you can evaluate condition and evaluate any possible repairs.

• hello again,

In the end, I found wheels for my hudson but they are without the hoops ... could you provide me some for sale? 

REGARDS, 

MANUEL HERNANDEZ
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    It looks like you have 72 spoke wheels,  you must measure your tire diameter.
    they look like Wolverine 18 inch wheels.

Even tho they have the same mounting pattern of  6 bolts on a 6 inch circle.

• yes,but my question is: it easy find the ring for this wheels?
  • I mount  and fit it perfectly. also I made the new bushings for the new wheels we order to manufacture.
  • Photos The new Hubs

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Your machining of the hubs looks good.
    "Rings" for wheels take a lot of searching.
    The Rings are not all the same.
    First you must measure your wheels for the size tire used.
    Second  we need to know the depth of groove the Ring fits in.
    and Third, the height of the the fixed lip on the wheel, this will give an idea of size of Ring that sticks out of the groove.
     Others, besides my self read these notes and hopefully some one of us might find the Rings you need.

"Hershey "  car show and flee market is one month away, so get information here so more of us are informed, and looking.
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I believe I have 4 correct 20" wheels , 6 lug on 6" centers with the locking rings.  I'll count spokes,  they are for sale if you still need them.  I plan to take them to Hershey next month.  They were removed from a 29 Essex. 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Hello, faustmb,  If you note in  his earlier response, he lives in Spain, has been to Hershey but not this year.  In his response, he needs them shipped to him.
    Thanks for your good response to be helpful to him.   Hans 
  • faustmb
    I'm fine with shipping these also.   I forgot to count spokes but I can do that by the weekend. 

Matt 
  • Hi Mat, it would be perfect if you count the spokes and you make some pictures to me to see the wheels that you sell.     I would be very interested in buying them ...    

regards,

Manuel 

• Hello again, 
    have you been able to see if the tires could be worth me?
    Hope they are worth it and you can send them to Spain !!!
    Thanks again 
  • faustmb
    Manuel,

i confirmed that i have the correct 60 spoke wheels.  Please email me at HETorphanautomill@gmail.com,  remove the HET.

Matt