redirad and prewar cars

Val
Val Member
Has anyone used the RediRad with their prewar cars? Just from look on line at the pics the input plug and anttnea  plug will not work with my radio. 

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    I did call them a couple days ago and they can accommodate the different connections. They have adapters for them. 
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser

Val,

A word of caution, I ordered a system from RediRad for my 52 Hornet (6 volt pos ground)a few years back. I couldn't get it to work, all it produced was static. After I talked to the guy at RediRad he suggested I re check the connection procedure, which I did, I even installed the unit on another 6 volt vehicle (48 Chrysler ) still could get it to work.

After another phone call the rep from RediRad said I must have gotten a bad unit, so he sent me another one, which did not work either. ??

I am not slamming the guy, he was quite helpful, but seems these units will not work on this particular radio system.

• Val
    Val Member
    Interesting dave11 and good to know what you have experienced. I appreciate all points of view and experiences with the product. The more info I have the better choice I can make  
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    You have to turn it to a certain station on the dial in order to get it to work. Make sure you also have a good ground. If your going to the National, I can show you how it works on mine. Always worked perfect on my Hudson.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Nevada but I cant make the national this time around. Have a wedding to attend that weekend. But I am aware it has to be turned to 10 on the AM dial.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I don't mean to hijack the discussion, but...
    Do any of you remember those little under-dash FM converters from the 1970's that we cheapska thrifty car owners used to convert our AM radios to AM-FM?  You plugged the car's antenna lead into them, then the converter's lead into your radio.  They worked fine.  I've heard that one could use one of these to convert our old 6-volt tube radios to FM.  Only problem is that the converters were of course 12 volt negative ground.  Are there any cheap bargain-priced gizmos to convert 6 to 12 volt, like inverters?  Or would that not work? 

(Ready Rad is great but after paying $100 you still need to buy an i-pod.  On the other hand, those old FM converters are probably a dime a dozen at yard sales.)
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor

Jon,

Just by an old Walkman at a thrift store. That would work.

• I need a bluetooth setup, so I can just stream from my phone!  Some of the newer phone don't even have headphone jacks anymore.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Wireless would be ideal as it wouldn't drain your phone battery like Bluetooth does. But I have an IPOD so that solves that end of the problem for me. And Steve is sending me the adapter for the redi rad
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited December 2019
    I got the redirad installed and it works great on my 39 Hudson Six with 6 volt pos ground. I have the original radio in it and it works great. Matt from Redirad has been very helpful and stands behind his product.  
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Val thanks for the input, was this recent or some time ago?
  • 2 years ago, I installed a Redi-rad on my 1951, 6v, pos. ground system and it works fine with the original radio on the required station.

The manufacturer has to be informed of the car's electrical configuration so that you get the correct model. They were very helpful when I ordered it. It was so simple to install that I required no further assistance.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    Val thanks for the input, was this recent or some time ago?
    This has been very recent. Just 2 days ago. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I think the first ones were a little flakey.  The first one I had quit working after about a week, 6V pos grnd.  They replaced it but it is still in the trunk.
  • Hope I have better luck with it.