6volt generator on 1937 terraplne

Can you change a 3rd brush generator to work with standard voltage regulator instead of cutout as standard equipment on a model 70 . rewiring car with new harness from RI wiring that is intended for model 72

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, reasonably simple procedure. Disconnect third brush terminal from field and couple it to the output brush.  Throw the third brush away.  Remove cap from field terminal.   Connect  A, F terminals to the regulator, and wire that originally went to the Cut-out  terminal connect to the B terminal on the regulator.  Throw the cut-out away. 
    Geoff 
  • karl
    karl Member
    Jeff , thank you for quick response. 
  • karl
    karl Member
    when replacing cutout with standard regulator what do you do about extra terminal"T" as shown on wiring diagram? Do you need a special regulator. I plan on using an OEM NOS regulator. I would like to maintain my GEN light on my 1937 model 70 Thanks,Karl 
  • karl
    karl Member
    I'v done some research and found I need 4 terminal regulator that fits from 37 to 50 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, you can use any regulator with three terminals, from 1950 onwards. You connect the wire from the "Gen" indicator light  to the A terminal on the regulator.   However you need to adjust the current regulator to maximum 25 amp output. Voltage is set at 7.25 volts.  Geoff 

• karl
    karl Member
    Thanks again with your info on 3 terminal regulators. I just came across a 4 term. reg, an auto-lite VRD4001A. According to the 1937 standard auto- electricians manual I would need to have a VRD-4003A or B . What is the difference? I removed the 3rd brush as you instructed and checked out  the generator as an electric motor and it works fine.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You are far better off to go with a three-terminal  unit as used on '51-55 Hudson.  Easier to adjust, and more reliable.  If you can't find one there I have one available.  They come up regularly on ebay.   Must be Auto-lite or generic equivalent.  Delco-Remy will  not work.  
    Geoff 

• karl
    karl Member
    Geoff, I have a positive ground after market  nos 3 terminal regulator. I'll take your advise. Why do you have to adjust the out put of a factory setting? Thanks, Karl
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It depends on the maximum rating of your generator, which in the case of a '37 models would not be more than 25 amps.  if your regulator tires to crank out 35-45 amps, as some of the later regulators are set for, then  you will cook your generator.  For instance, if you have headlights, radio, heater, dash lights, brake lights, and horn all going at once the loading is around 35 amps.   If you set the current regulator for 25 amps max you should be okay. 
  • karl
    karl Member
    Thank you so much. You have been a big help The generator conversion was easy and worked out well. Karl
  • still looking for rear shock replacement for 1937 terraplane utility coupe. Thanks ,Karl
  • karl
    karl Member
    Does anyone know what new  shocks will fit the rear of 1937 terraplane?  
  • If you call Monroe Shock Absorbers and talk to the Technical depertment they can help you find a replacement. They will ask what type of mounting on each end, the compressed length, and the extended length. their number is 734.384.7809. Eastern standard time, 830AM-530PM