Straight 8 questions

Comments

• I am pretty new with Hudson 8 cylinder engines.

Can someone tell me from around wich year this engine would be? 

And is it hard to find parts for..

The owner says this engine has NASCAR history..?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The 8 has no Nascar history. The 308 cubic inch 6 does!  I am sure Someone will look up the casting numbers and answer your question. Overhauling the 8 is very expensive..
  • SuperDave said:
    The 8 has no Nascar history. The 308 cubic inch 6 does!  I am sure Someone will look up the casting numbers and answer your question. Overhauling the 8 is very expensive..
    That is what I thought that the 8 has no Nascar history. Okay good to know this engine would go in a mid 1910 inspired speedster. I have read that there is not really an aftermarket for these engines? 

• looks like it a 37 thru 47 narrow block, whats that on top?  overhauling not cheap, but not any worse than any other old engine 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited August 2017
    Depends upon what you mean by "aftermarket".  If you mean availability of parts, well of course no factory parts are available except in NOS hoards that are uncovered from time to time.  But there are individuals and small companies making certain engine parts and gaskets for the Hudson 8 which was produced (with some variations) from 1930 through 1952.  And as I say, there are a certain number of original parts, still in the box, knocking around out there.

There really is no large company selling an assortment of Hudson-only parts, in the same way that there are companies selling '55 Chevy parts and Model T parts.  Instead, there are individuals specializing in specific things: Hudson repro plastic parts, clutch components, engine parts, and so forth.  The clearinghouse for all this information is the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, and by tapping into its network of members one can pretty much find almost anything for his Hudson if he looks hard enough, and asks enough people.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Visit Dale coopers site he has some Hudson 8 parts and gaskets. Engine parts but as stated above not cheap to rebuild. http://www.hudsonmotorcarco.com/parts.htm
  • Jon B said:
    Depends upon what you mean by "aftermarket".  If you mean availability of parts, well of course no factory parts are available except in NOS hoards that are uncovered from time to time.  But there are individuals and small companies making certain engine parts and gaskets for the Hudson 8 which was produced (with some variations) from 1930 through 1952.  And as I say, there are a certain number of original parts, still in the box, knocking around out there.

There really is no large company selling an assortment of Hudson-only parts, in the same way that there are companies selling '55 Chevy parts and Model T parts.  Instead, there are individuals specializing in specific things: Hudson repro plastic parts, clutch components, engine parts, and so forth.  The clearinghouse for all this information is the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, and by tapping into its network of members one can pretty much find almost anything for his Hudson if he looks hard enough, and asks enough people.
    Thank you for all the information, with aftermarket In really only mean engine Parts and transmission parts? Is there anybody that sells new pistons and rings, maybe connecting rods? I am used to model A's so don't know what to expect haha. 

Also the gentlemen is asking €850 that is around $1000. He says that almost everything is precent in an other box. Is the price to high? He says the engine is loose
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Note that although the 8 was not used in NASCAR is had a long racing history in the 30s and 40s and in those days it was no slouch.  Hudson did make aluminum heads and intakes for the 8 in the late 40s.  If you are lucky you may find some Edmunds polished aluminum pieces like finned heads and 2x2 intakes.  Dale Cooper has rebuild kits for the 8 that includes new pistons.  I doubt you need new rods as they are forged and rarely give out.  Rod bearings are babbit so if they need to be replaced.  I have used rods you can have it you need some.  

Cooper's list:

PREMIUM ENGINE PACKAGE "MASTER REBUILDER" 1941-52 HUDSON STRAIGHT 8

Contents: Master Overhaul Gasket Set

8 Pistons - Premium Quality OEM 4 Ring Type Manufactured 2004

Piston Ring Set

Cam Gear

Cam Bearing Set

16 Valve Springs

8 Intake Valves   8 Exhaust Valves

8 Intake Valve Guides 8 Exhaust Valve Guides

8 Piston Pin Bushings

Crankshaft Spacer

Thrust Washer

$1150.00 (plus shipping and handling)

Optional: Add Set of 16 New Valve Tappets for $320 more

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Based on the casting number, engine pictured is a 1951 or 1952.  I'm not able to see the date code or could be more precise.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Casting # appears to be J270   = Oct 27th, 1950
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I just finished one of these for my 40.  Had to insert new exhaust guides, all new valves from Dale Cooper and had them ground in.  If the mains have good babbit, they can be shimmed to spec, .001-.0015.  I have never encountered splasher rods out of spec.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    "Also the gentlemen is asking €850 that is around $1000. He says that almost everything is precent in an other box. Is the price to high?"

For a pair of engines that need rebuilding, to me that seems high. 
  • 50C8DAN said:
    Note that although the 8 was not used in NASCAR is had a long racing history in the 30s and 40s and in those days it was no slouch.  Hudson did make aluminum heads and intakes for the 8 in the late 40s.  If you are lucky you may find some Edmunds polished aluminum pieces like finned heads and 2x2 intakes.  Dale Cooper has rebuild kits for the 8 that includes new pistons.  I doubt you need new rods as they are forged and rarely give out.  Rod bearings are babbit so if they need to be replaced.  I have used rods you can have it you need some.  

Cooper's list:

PREMIUM ENGINE PACKAGE "MASTER REBUILDER" 1941-52 HUDSON STRAIGHT 8

Contents: Master Overhaul Gasket Set

8 Pistons - Premium Quality OEM 4 Ring Type Manufactured 2004

Piston Ring Set

Cam Gear

Cam Bearing Set

16 Valve Springs

8 Intake Valves   8 Exhaust Valves

8 Intake Valve Guides 8 Exhaust Valve Guides

8 Piston Pin Bushings

Crankshaft Spacer

Thrust Washer

$1150.00 (plus shipping and handling)

Optional: Add Set of 16 New Valve Tappets for $320 more

Thank you this helps alot
  • I just finished one of these for my 40.  Had to insert new exhaust guides, all new valves from Dale Cooper and had them ground in.  If the mains have good babbit, they can be shimmed to spec, .001-.0015.  I have never encountered splasher rods out of spec.
    Okay thank you Josh, that is really good to know. This will be a project for a couple of years because I still have to find all the rest haha
  • bob ward said:
    "Also the gentlemen is asking €850 that is around $1000. He says that almost everything is precent in an other box. Is the price to high?"

For a pair of engines that need rebuilding, to me that seems high. 
    I do have to say that these engines are pretty rare here in Europe so didn't have to ship it from the US.. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I would guess there is a lot of wiggle room on the price.  I know if I had one of these or any other engine taking up space and no need I would be eager to talk price!  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Hudson 8s would be rare in Europe, but the fact that the market for them is very very small works in your favour.
  • bob ward said:
    Hudson 8s would be rare in Europe, but the fact that the market for them is very very small works in your favour.

Why would you say that it works in my favour?
  • Roodbaard said:
    Why would you say that it works in my favour?
    Supply and demand?  Less competition from other buyers would increase the likelihood that you could get a lower price.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Lester Harris has parts for those engines (775) 267-2559
  • Note that the Hudson 8 (and Chassis) was used in the British sport car RAILTON 1933 to 1947. There is an active  (Railton Owners Club) "ROC" in the UK.  they have their own list of parts and information.