Packard V8 in a stepdown

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited August 2017 in HUDSON
I got to wondering if Hudson or anyone every installed a Packard V8 into a stepdown.  It would have been interesting if the stepdown would have still been competitive in NASCAR with it?  Hudson did have a '55/'56 body designed on the stepdown that looked close to what the HASH '55 did.  Although the Packard V8 was no lightweight, and still had some early teething issues, it still was a potent performer, especially when you went wth the 374cu and dual quads.

Comments

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Much too heavy, as it was a lot heavier than the 308.
  • they are pretty cool engines.
    from memory the 320, 352 and 374 all had the same engine dimensions.
    Think in 56 only Chrysler's 345HP 300 was more jazzed.
    They look to pretty big but not as big and heavy looking as say a caddy 500 that some people have put in Hudsons.
    Think i remember reading the the trans what had one of those groovy 50s *o-matic names sucked when coupled with the 374.
    Dont see many of them about over here in NZ so its an engine that may interest me.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited August 2017
    Well from what I can find, the 374 Cu Packard V8 weighed in at about 705 lbs.  The 308 with aluminum head (?) weighed in at 650 lbs.  So not all that much heavier, the power difference could have more than made up the weight difference.  374 Hp w/ single 4bbl 290hp, 2x4 5=310hp.  The 308 maybe 210?

http://autoroundup.com/index.php/tag/374-cubic-inch-packard-twin-four-barrel-engine/
  • when looking at Packard engine specs i stumbled on to Alison V12s then onto this quad engine 6840cubic inch show car. 

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Larry Kenedy of "IndyHudsons" here on this forum has a stepdown with an AMC 327 V8 which I guess is quite a performer I am told.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited August 2017
    If you want to stick with Packard just get one of these.  They used to be for sale in the back of Hemmings for years.  I have not looked in a while:  http://ptboats.org/20-01-05-ptboat-008.html

Some guys in the midwest used to used to use these for tractor pull competition, unlimited of course.
  • Nevada Hudson
    There is an article in the February 1957 Hot Rod magazine of boring out the Packard v8 to 440 ci, and it would beat EVERYTHING!
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Why not consider an AMC 390 or 401? Motors and parts are available. 
  • 50C8DAN
    edited August 2017
    Kerry the initial question of my post was would the proposed '55 stepdown have still been competitive with the Packard V8 instead of the 308.  I think the answer would have been probably.  Had Hudson used at least the 352 cu in Packard it could still have been successful.  With the 374 it probably would have been dominant.  The Hash setup that was tested, with no interest from the former Hudson drivers, I am guessing used the HT body as the coupe was no more in '55.  Marshall Teague supposedly after one lap threw them the keys and said this is no Hudson.  The AMC V8 would not appear until after the Hudson name was gone.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Some of the studebaker guys might know more as I think several have built them (packard) to go into various Studes.
    http://www.hotrod.com/articles/belching-mammoth-packard-v8-set-to-run-vintage-class-at-hot-rods-2015-amsoil-engine-masters-challenge/
  • 50C8DAN
    I got this message from Jack Vines, who is a Packard V8 guy.  He is building one of those 440 Cu in V8s. 

Hi, Dan,

Yes, the 1955 352" Caribbean Packard V8 would have made the Hudson step--down as fast as anything available. The '56 374" even more so. An additional hundred horsepower always helps.
    And yes, there's not enough weight difference to have hurt the handling; the slightly shorter V8 should have put the center of gravity about the same. Since the '55 Packard ran a durability test of 25,000 miles at an average of 104 MPH, it might have held up in 500-mile races.

jack
  • Nevada Hudson

In the last WTN, check out the photos in Charlie Nau's "Alternative Hudson".

That same car ( 1955 Hudson) was at Hot August Nights in Reno, and he has the Packard Caribbean v8 in it with two 4 barrel carburetors and dual exhausts.