Essex light/ignition switch

Hello,  Has anyone reproduced the switch levers found on the Auto-Lite  #XA361 switch used on 27 & 28 Essex cars?  I need a pair of levers or a complete switch.

Thank you for any leads,

Jack

Comments

• hudsonjet54
    hudsonjet54 Member
    edited July 2017
    Keep looking on web ... took me a very long time to find some...
    Jason
  • Thank you!    Great find,  the switch levers are now ordered, in stock & soon to be on the way.

They are polished stainless steel so they will look like they are nickel plated but will be very strong.

Jack Innes

1927 Essex Speedabout,  1938 Terraplane Utility Coupe

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    The spring loading of the contacts and movable  contacts within the switch can be rather strong for the original  handles.  I have unbent the tabs holding the rear cover and re bent them so the backing if farther away from front body. I think this has helped to preserve my original handles as there is less torque required to operate switch. 
  • Thank you for the heads up on the spring pressure.  My switch has one good (almost)  handle & the other has bloated up & seized in the body of the switch.  The lever is broken off from someone trying to turn it.   Die cast metal does not do well in our Canadian climate possibly due to humidity & great temperature extremes.

Jack Innes

1927 Essex Speedabout,  1938 Terraplane Utility Coupe

• The new levers arrived from Au.  & they are very good.    A tiny bit smaller due to shrinkage in the castings & a slight bit of fitting needed to fit the smaller drive lug but not a problem.     Being polished cast stainless steel they should be very strong & they look like they are nickel plated.   

The spring pressure seemed about right -  my springs may have lost a little tension over 90 years.

Jack 

• CKF
    CKF Member
    Howdy, I have a 1927 Essex Boattail I am restoring. I purchased the repro paddle switch knobs from Australia, they look great! but I need the switches. Any leads? Out of desperation I bought a 1924 Dodge paddle switch and tried to use the guts but it's just not exactly the right size. Very close though.
  • Contact me. coleng@xtra.co.nz