HOOD SPRINGS apparently made from UNOBTAINIUM

Those damn HOOD SUPPORT round coil springs. Been trying to finish my '46 Big Boy now for almost a year, and the only thing left is getting 2 coil springs for the struts.  Everybody keeps telling me about a fellow that had some made, just look in the forum. After how many dozen pages of forum, I starting to think people are blowing smoke in my ear, and going to bed laughing. Can ANYONE point me to a couple springs??  Please respond to  Byron Hight  "WACOYKC@HOTMAIL.COM".             Picture is my "TARGET"............THANKS

Comments

• Do you know if they are the same from the later cars ? if so I have some.
  • The repro trunk springs for 46-48 Ford look the same as the Hudson hood springs.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser

I do not think Byron has asked enough people. he only linked to 85 other threads!

• bellbigdawg
    bellbigdawg Expert Adviser
    i have two extra from a 1946 hudson pickup. PM me
  • triman62
    triman62 Member
    edited June 2017
    I would think that the Hudson truck being made from Hudson cars they would be real easy to find used, probably used on several different years and applications. Do they look like the pic of mine? These are off a 51 Hornet. BTW, Your truck looks AWESOME!
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    triman62 said:
    I would think that the Hudson truck being made from Hudson cars they would be real easy to find used, probably used on several different years and applications. Do they look like the pic of mine? These are off a 51 Hornet. BTW, Your truck looks AWESOME!
    They won't work on anything but a stepdown. Too wide. Pre stepdowns had a narrower spring.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Any Hudson from 1940-1947 are correct.  Must be some out there.   Thought
    Wildrick Restoration had some re produced.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Nope. It was me.
  • Byron, I see these right on Wildrick's site... is this not what you need?!

http://www.wrphet.com/hood-items.html

• donmoz
    donmoz Member
    I had a bunch of these made a few years ago. They are slightly thicker steel than original and have to be filed a little to fit the slot on the hinge. But, they are also slightly stronger than stock. Work great on my cars.
  • Byron
    Byron Member

I have dozens of fresh chrome pieces, & complete front clip (fenders hood & grill (late forties)and complete instrument panel in great shape, decent Hornet intake and exhaust manifolds., I am now wondering if there would be any interest from the forum, maybe not.   As a point of interest, do these springs break (fragile & should I keep a couple on hand)

P.S.  I almost forgot I also need a cowl fresh air "door", and A/C compressor mount. (I also have a couple twin belt harmonic pulleys for A/C)    Not knowing your location, BUT.... I'd be willing to make you a hell of a deal on all of my Hudson pieces and parts.

This pickup is my last Hudson go-round.  The rest of my projects will probably outlive me. 
  • goan
    goan Member
    Hi Byron am about to start on a complete restoration on a 46 pickup once it arrives from the USA in about 4 weeks so would be keen to purchase some of things you have mentioned. Are you able to send me some pictures of the items you might want to sell to  jih@orcon .net.nz Thanks Jeff
  • Byron, I too would be interested in a good amount of the chrome pieces and trim anything that Goan is not interested in. Please let me know what exactly you have. rkee0308@gmail.com
  • donmoz
    donmoz Member
    Well, the springs I had made are pretty sturdy, but the lack of availability leads me to believe that either through age or over usage the original ones just wore out. I have three vehicles that use that spring; that's why I had a load made up. Don