54 hornet ss trim

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
I was told that the 54 Hornet had ss trim pieces in the hood air scoop hole.Th o finish off the scoop and to help strenghten the scoop. Any pictures of this ss or any for sale.  Hudsonly  Ray

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    The only trim on a '54 hood is the hood ornament - no trim hidden within the openings of the hood.
  • Jetman is correct.  Years of my uncle slamming the hood shut by the hood ornament has caused the small strip of sheet metal between the 2 vents under the ornament to sever.  For what it's worth, I try to close the hood by gripping the area to either side of the ornament to prevent further damage.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I have attached pictures(albeit) poor taken a few minutes ago.  I have 2 54s which do have the stainless moldings bolted to the bottom of the opening.  The red primer pictures show both sides as well as a re-welded divider that often breaks due to hood slamming.imageimageimage
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Old farmer that is it halilulia. now to find them.My friend in California told me about this trim.Is it not to common or nobody knows about this trim. Would you sell them off one of your cars.??? Hudsonly  Ray
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Ray,  look to see if you have the black support piece also.

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Yes I also need the black support. Do you know where I can buy these pieces.  Ray
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    John, you Collected another 54?  I see in the background of your bracket picture.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I have some I will sell.  Send me a PM
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    John, you Collected another 54?  I see in the background of your bracket picture.
    Ken, I've had it for a few years, it's my parts car.  I don't even list it in the roster, but I should.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    When I had my hood apart I welded in reinforcements to give strength to the hood.  My "strips" were in place and in excellent condition.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks John,  kinda like my #2 Wasp Club Sedan...LOL
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Studebaker C/K bodies have the hood corner bend issue as well. The fix is to weld in hood corner support brackets. I do this to any I do body work onhttp://www.classicent.com/images/custom/studebaker/studebaker-anti-kink-hood-stiffeners.jpg

• iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited June 2017
    Was this extra trim and support bracket an aftermarket thing?  My 54 was one of the last made, and to my knowledge, does not have these.  I'll have to check tonight.

EDIT: Looks like I do have the trim pieces, but I dunno about that bracket...
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited June 2017

Duncan, In short, no.  My hood was in great shape except where the center support was.  The lower part of the support was broken in half and the hood pushed down a bit.  I cut it just below the curve on the top and it was broken just above the curve on the bottom.  I fabricated a thick section of metal the right length and welded it back into place-feathering it back at the top and bottom and filed it so that it matched the original contour.  If you rub your hand across it, or feel the thickness you can tell it was replaced but (because of my fantastic work--kiddin) it does not show up on a photograph.  Sorry--but an easy fix.

Iceblade, My 54 Hornet Special Coup was a Mid-September build.  If any of them would not have had the stainless ribs in the hood opening it would have been the "Specials."  Since mine has them, I am guessing they all did?

• iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited June 2017
    Here's a pic of my poor baby...  Makes me sad every time I see it.  I don't think there's any way to fix it without repainting the area, eh?  I think the incorrect springs are on my hood latch, which means it takes a lot of force to slam the hood shut, which resulted in this happening.

I also did have that bracket other people have mentioned.  I never noticed before!
  • 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    Very interesting thread which peaked my curiosity about our '54 Hornet.  Well guess what I found?  Our car also lacks the support bracket.  So I would also like to purchase one if someone has one to spare.  Thanks.

Tim in WI. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I found the pieces for Ray and they will be going to him as soon as I receive them from the vendor.  I would try folks like Roger Tallent or Lance Walker who are both used Hudson parts dealers and members of the HET CLUB so contact information is listed in the HET Membership roster.  You can go to my website ( URL ) in my signature block and will find more vendors of HET parts who might be able to assist you in finding the pieces.
  • I have repaired my hood in this location three times in 270,000 miles of driving.  This time I made a bracket that fastens to the top of this reinforcement bracket and attaches to the bottom of bolts attaching the bird on hood.  This will help carry the load when some one applies pressure to the bird trying to shut the hood.

Hope to get the hood finished paint and installed before Dec. then I can supply pictures.

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thank you everybody for your help  Hudsonly  Ray