52 Hudson Wasp for sale Price ?

I am selling for the owner a 52 Hudson Wasp 2 door coupe with the original Hudson's 262 cu in (4.3 L) L-Head six fed by a 2-barrel carburetor. This has been sitting buried in the garage and has just been uncovered. I need to find it a home. Nice condition - limited to no rust. Still has the layers of dust from sitting.

Problem is that I'm not certain the value. I'm aware that prices https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1952-hudson-wasp tends to be inflated as I buy and sell 60-70's pony cars quite often. However the Hudson is new to me and looking for assistance.

I'm selling it for the owner who is in bad health and doing the best I can... the car is garaged in Winchester VA. He tells me he may have a clean title as he has to find it. He told me it drove into the garage and fresh gas and battery should start it up. You and I know what that means that care is needed. I have a box or two of chrome for the car. I was about to air the tires and give it a wash but decided not to and leave it preserved for the buyer. 

Thanks for any assistance on a price range to go on... I have a couple interested parties but need to know a ball-park value so the owner feels the deal is just.

Ed 571-275-2418

Comments

• More pics on the 52 Hudson Wasp
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2017
    Ed, when did he drive this into the garage?  Three months ago?  In 1990?
  • yeah... at least... it was buried with stuff! Any value recommendations?
  • Setting for about 17 years? loaded with mouse crap?. not all tighter? Who knows value. maybe $2500? at most.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Certainly plenty of opinions, but being a coupe, I think you could get more than 2500.  Maybe closer to 4000.  It's not a Hornet, but the Wasp's with the shorter front end have their own appeal.  I'd put air in the tires and have a floor jack near.  Someone is going to want to get underneath of it to take a look.  If I were looking, I'd rather it be cleaned up instead of covered in dust...easier to see what you're looking at.

Price can also depend on who you're selling it to.  If it was someone I knew who was going to give it a good home and keep it, I'd be less pressed to push a higher dollar.  Could be a great opportunity for a younger person to get into the Hudson hobby.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2017
      Getting it started would be a big plus in selling it.  And and Steve says, at least clean the dust off it!  One BIG selling point is a frame that's not rusted around the rear wheels (and back), so your friend might want to check that out.

I'm on the phone with someone who knows about this car (and knows a number of people here in Virginia who have known about it for the past 30-40 years).  So I may be able to add some information about it, here, in awhile.
  • I'm in Woodstock, about a half hour from Winchester. I would like to look at the car, having some knowledge of the trouble points on Stepdowns. I am just finishing a refurb on a 50 Super 6... Also have a fleet of rollbacks if needed. :)
    Jason
    540.333.4259 if I don't pick up, leave a message with callback number, I may be otherwise occupied with a recovery.
  • Thanks for the assist Jon B. The gentleman that you speak of is in poor health and I'm just assisting. To no profit of my own and I buy and sell quite often so all due respect Ken U-Tx, to your comment..."They all want the car to sell itself......no effort on their part. LOL", getting this car in plain site by cleaning up around it has been quite a task. I've left it "preserved" temporally so I can go to those in-the-Hudson-know before moving forward. The "barn-find" effect is very popular as well... I know as I pull out many cars buried in barns and garages... and if you have never done it it can be quite exciting for the new owner. Jon B, the owner pointed me to your club as a resource while he was in the hospital so I appreciate any and all constructive assistance. My thanks. Ed

Also, thanks Jase... I may give you a ring!      
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ed, there are two chapters of the Hudson club (H-E-T) in the Northern Virginia area, the Chesapeake Bay Chapter and the Tri-State Mountain Roads Chapter (whose territory actually includes Winchester, I believe.  Here is our (CBC) website, for what it's worth: http://www.cbc.hetclub.org/

We will be very happy to run an ad for the car in our newsletter at no cost to you, though frankly this (forum) notice and the Craigslist ad (which someone mentioned that you or the owner is running) will be more productive.  Please feel free to contact me (via PM) if there is anything I can do to help (though I am NOT an auto appraiser, nor do I own a StepDown, so car values of this era are a mystery to me).
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Ed, the value on Hagerty is for a 2 to 3 car on their rating scale.  Using their same scale for a #4 car is $7k (which they consider a driver).  I recently sold the car you see in my avatar (yeah, I haven't updated it yet) which is a 52 Commodore 8 coupe.  I'd be happy to share some info with you on condition and what the sale price was.  Send me a message if you'd like.  Not trying to be critical and not interested in purchasing (I don't have the space, the time to restore it or the desire to deal with a divorce lawyer).  
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Jon, now is your chance to get yourself a stepdown that is nearby!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Somehow I don't think Jon is looking for a project.

• Not that it makes a tinkers #$@% to this discussion, but I always get a real kick with the pricing done by these experts.  Several years ago I sold my T8 coupe and in 50 years of ownership I think I maybe saw 2 advertised for sale. so how could anyone quote a value. one thing I do know is both my car and Bill Jennings T8 convt. sold for a whole  lot more than I did see listed on a current value list. One thing I will ad is that when I joined the HET in 1963, people gave you the cars and one like this MAYBE sold for $150.00. MAYBE. How times have changed.
  • Thanks all for your comments/info. I think we will air the tires and get her started next week. Speaking with the owner there is an indication that it could turn over and move... tbd... also getting it on a rack possibly and seeing what's underneath.... yes - I have it on GL (price is inflated as it's the unknown and will be updated as needed)... I'll update some pics as we get it rolling... I'll follow-up here during the progress... my thanks all!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ed, I understand this was advertised on the local Craigslist at a price which, it seems to me, was a bit hopeful!  I think the owner will be well advised to be flexible on his pricing, especially if you can't get the car started.  I don't think you want to bring in "outside help" getting the car going, but be advised that there is a well-regarded Hudson expert out in Capon Bridge, WV (just west of Winchester) who could certainly solve any mechanical problems.  My advice would be to check the oil before attempting to start the car and (if possible) drain any old gas in the tank.  Usually we suggest dropping the pan and cleaning out the scum, but possibly this car has been run recently enough that the oil is in good shape.  DO be sure that all your battery / ground cable connections are "bright and tight" because a 6-volt system is very unforgiving of the slightest bit of corrosion.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I guess I will start out by saying that I do auto appraisal's but to be honest with you, that does not mean much. Far more important is that I have restored several 'stepdown" cars and have been round for forty years or so.  This looks like a good project but the value given you of $2,500 is spot on.  If this car has been off the road for more than 5 years do not mess around trying to start it.  There is just too much you can damage for a new owner.  But, do clean and remove crap and rodent droppings.  Turning this into a daily driver, not a show car is between $17,000 and $21,000.  It would need to be a labor of love.  It is a nice car.  My 2 cents--call me if you want to, I am in the Roster...

• Hey gents - An update -

Some individuals may have contacted me in the past when I had this posted here and on GL. The owner fell into bad health and I had to stop the process. He is back on his feet and I'm continuing to assist... so let's try this again.

We did get this running but needs a rebuilt/new fuel pump. Tires are holding air and car can be looked over. Car is sitting in our shop in storage - Valley Automotive 2629 Valley Ave Winchester VA. Showing by appointment only. If there is interest I'm taking numbers to provide to the owner and his wife to contact.

Thanks -

Ed

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Ed, listing the car here at the Open Forum is a good idea but it's only a "start".  Other options include Craigslist, Hemmings Motor News, Old Cars Weekly, and any of a number of internet car sales sites.  Ebay too, if the owner is trying to sell it quickly.  You can also list the car in The White Triangle News (the magazine of the Hudson club) at no charge, if you can find a club member to sponsor the ad (I'd be willing to). 

But in order to get serious interest you will need to provide as much information as you can.  And, it would be a great advantage to have the owner clean up the car, and get it running, before any prospective buyers come to view it.  As I've mentioned, there is a very qualified Hudson mechanic out in Capon Bridge; you might be able to work out a price to have him come out and spend a set number of hours working on it to diagnose any problems and have it running smoothly.  Or just get a good local mechanic who's familiar with old technology, to do that.

We just completed our annual three-day Hudson meet down in Front Royal (the 54th such meet), with a number of local and out-of-state attendees.  I'm sorry I didn't see your update before the weekend began, or I'd have told everyone that the car was for sale, and maybe a couple of people might have driven up to Winchester to look at it.

Best of luck on selling the car.  I'm sure the owner appreciates your help.
  • Thanks for the follow-up Jon! Sorry to have missed the show!
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I assume this is not a Super Wasp, looks like a lot of trim is missing. Hard to tell how solid it is.
     Of the  cars I have restored over the years, I would have to say the stepdown Hudsons are the most challenging and time consuming.

• An update - I finally have a price on the car.... owner is willing to take 3500.00 OBO first come. If you have any interest or know someone who may please contact me ejpalmer007@gmail.com or 571.275.2418
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ed, if you could work up a classified ad that includes as much complete information that you can put together,  including the selling price and contact info, and include a photo of it, I can ask our newsletter editor to print it in the next issue.  We are one of the two Hudson club chapters in the Northern Virginia / Maryland / W. Virginia area.  You could reach me at XXXdetailed@verizon.net (delete the XXX before sending).

Also, it would behoove you to advertise this in the White Triangle News (magazine of the Hudson club).  Even if you're not a member I can tell you how to do it at no cost (as a "lead" from a member).  June 1 is their ad deadline for the next issue.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you the info.