Glass Bowl fuel filters - any good?

Can anyone give me an education on vintage "glass bowl" fuel filters?

I saw a video someone posted on the Facebook page with one in their Hornet, and thought it looked awesome.  I know cheap modern disposable ones probably clean just about as good as anything, but I really liked the look.

My questions:

Which one to get?  There are a bunch of different types.  Is one OEM to Hudson?  I'd think Carter would make the most sense, since the carbs are Carter.  The AC ones would probably belong on GM products (mostly).

I assume the ceramic filters are washable/reusable?

Do these actually work well enough to use, or am I better off just sticking to a discreet modern one?  I also wonder if the modern corn gas affects the performance...

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     Basically, the original type glass bowl filters were just a sediment trap with a gauze filter, and work remarkably well.   The fuel enters through the centre, and any rubbish, dirt etc. will gravitate to the bottom of the bowl where it can be seen, and the delivery is through the gauze filter to the delivery port.  You will need the occasional clean-out and either a cork or neoprene gasket, but  otherwise trouble free. 
  • pop a magnet in the bottom if the one you have dosnt have a magnetic band in it.
    helps to further take out any scale, rust or metallic crud that might be in the tank or lines.
  • Thanks for the advice, guys.  The AC version seems to be the best deal, as they are like-new and the paper filter elements seem easy to get, since they were used on Chevys...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-1957-58-64-CHEVY-FUEL-FILTER-ASSEMBLY-GLASS-BOWL-AC-GF48-USA-MADE-/132112434969?hash=item1ec283c719:g:Vz0AAOSwdGFYt2Qw&vxp=mtr
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I put my filters before the fuel pump on the passenger side frame rail. I us d to do the glass one on the carb feed tube till I figured out they acted lik a big heat magnet and caus d vapor lock.  I'm not saying yours will have the problem but if you start to notice vapor lock problems you didn't have before...think about the filter.  
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Steve, I have Carter, AC and Durex. if interested, let me know.
  • pop a magnet in the bottom if the one you have dosnt have a magnetic band in it.
    helps to further take out any scale, rust or metallic crud that might be in the tank or lines.
    Interesting idea.  I see Carter actually made an aftermarket product to that effect.

Do you affix the magnet in any way, or just have it sloshing around loose on the bottom of the glass bowl...?
  • dougson
    dougson Senior Contributor
    I've learned that the newer paper filters in the bowl filters will "load" up before standard, modern in-line filters.
  • I've discovered that you can still get the gaskets for the Carter filters.  Fel-Pro 12473 is the part number.  Only $1.52 each on Walmart.com right now, although I apparently bought the last 2!  These newly manufactured Made in the USA parts will be a big upgrade over the 60 year old NOS gasket I have, which I assume would dissolve away in a matter of days due to the ethanol... LOL.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    RockAuto also lists the gaskets for $1.24 each.
    Alternate part numbers as well:1320527, 630001, 90600R1, ECU9364A, F23A20.
    Jeff