Hello. I am new to Hudson and have a question.

GasWorksGarage
edited March 2017 in HUDSON
 hello, my name is Chester. Can anyone tell me what year and model this Hudson is?

thanks!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Chester has already sent me the serial number (I'll withhold that unless he wants to publish it here) which is less that 4000.  This would make it a 1909-10 model "20" roadster.   But the car pictured, is obviously a touring car, which should have a serial number in the 5000-7000 area (roughly).  So, "it is a puzzlement!"

My only thought is that it was once restored from bits and pieces of several Hudsons, and that a "roadster" builder's plate joined parts from a touring car (and maybe others) to create what we see here.

My question: shouldn't a touring car have had a wooden dashboard, and a windshield?
  • Hello,

Jon has been helpful. The only number I can find on the car is 3071 and that is on the engine. No body tag and I cant find anything on the frame. The dash is wood but there isn't a windshield nor a place to attach one.

Thanks
  • I just noticed that there is a plate on the radiator shell that says car # 5829
  • well I found the windshield its made into the top LOL
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2017

Interesting. 

Well, first, as to the wood dashboard and windshield, here is a standard 1909-10 touring car that has its dashboard (or cowl) and windshield:

Now, as to the triangular builder's plate...

It appears to be displayed just under the front edge of the front seat cushion.

In the photo below you can just barely see it between the underside of the seat cushion and the top of the aluminum kick plate on the front seat support.   Just to the right of the brass lamp on the cowl.  I don't know if that's the correct place for it, but I'd bet that it ISN'T supposed to be on the radiator.

Your serial number plate is on the radiator.  Normally, one would expect to find the triangular Hudson nameplate there.  It's hard to read this one, but it says "Hudson '20' "

However, I am NOT an expert on these things!  Someone who knows these early cars should jump in here to offer an opinion.  Possibly the emblem shown above is NOT authentic and, indeed, the serial number plate should be there instead.  I dunno...

(And by the way, serial number 5829 WOULD be correct for a 1909-10 touring car.  The engine number that you gave me is apparently different from the car body number.  In some years engine and serial numbers matched, in others they didn't.)
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I have a 10 Touring and your car is a 1910.  The badge on the radiator is the id badge that should be on the heel board on the passenger side. The number of the tag on the radiator puts this car as a touring car that is somewhat early in the production.  the engine number will not match the tag number.  My car number is 7093 and the engine is 6669. So you don't know the order of the builds.  They may have made these things in batches is my guess.  The windshield was an option and from a few pictures I have seen there were many cars that did not have a windshield from the factory.  The top was also an option but it looks like many were made with the top and no windshield.  I am looking into reproducing the radiator badge as mine is badly polished out and almost unreadable.  The radiator badge was soldered on with 3 brass pins.  Also mine looks different that the one pictured above.  Which is different than the enameled badges.

Have fun with it.  I have only had mine since August 2016 and it has been very educational learning about it.  I also found an original parts and owners manual which is helpful.  But the biggest help is find and early Dyke's automotive book, 1911 or so.  They are reproduced and the cost is not to bad and a great read.  Take a picture of your dash if you would, I would like to see if your "bee box" is similar to mine.  I know the speedo was added later

Jay

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Forgot to say the wood above the curved dash is part of the windshield assembly.  So if you don't have the windshield you will not have the wood toper.  you would have only the curved dash that you have.

Jay 

• Jay,

thanks for the info. My Bee box is gutted. I only have the 4 wires coming off the mag. I was wondering why the 4 extra plugs now I see that they run off the battery box for starting. Would you have a wiring diagram?

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I do have the wiring diagram of sorts.  I will make a copy of the one from the 1910 manual.  If your box is like mine you may have a master vibrator that controls the other vibrators.  You will need to open the box and count the contacts for the coil boxes to know for sure.  In any event your switch looks to be like the one pictured in the manual.  I can say mine starts much easier on the battery than on the mag.  But it runs much better on the mag than the battery.  I think I have an issue with a loose or warn timer.

Jay

• I would love to have a better picture of your fire wall showing where the wires ran.
  • Great thank you Jay!
  • Would love to see the firewall on both passenger and drivers side as to see what wires attach to. I think we are missing some components.

• anyone know what is suppose to attach to this stud on right side of block?image
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Yes, you are missing the timer for the battery system and I would bet some of the linkage to the timer from the advance adjustment lever on the steering wheel as well.  I will try and get some shots this weekend.  I am very familiar with this view when I rewired mine.  The timer is a pain to work on because of very limited space.

Jay 

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

So is this the same car that is currently listed on the HCCA site for sale?  Just asking.

Jay

• firewall is a little bare.
  • The linkage is hanging there no timer thou.
  • Does anyone know where I might be  able to find a timer?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2017
    You may want to consider posing some of these questions at the AACA forum's "Buy-Sell" or "Technical" forum categories, because many of these old-timey components were shared with other makes at the time your Hudson was manufactured.  The number of 1910-era owners will be much greater over there, as opposed to here --  they won't be Hudson owners, but will be better acquainted with 1910-era "electrics" than most of our Step-Down-era members may be.  Ask (in your postings) what other brands shared the same electrical / timing components as Hudson.  It might be (for example) that a 1910 Hupmobile -- or 1908 Buick, or 1911 Maxwell -- used essentially the same timer as the Hudson and you might then have a better chance of finding that timer by asking for it (Delco-Remy #27-B") rather than a "1910 Hudson" timer.

Another path you may wish to follow, would be to contact some fellow 1910 Hudson owners in the H-E-T Club.  Assuming you're an H-E-T member, you can easily find this information in either the printed roster, or (even faster) using the registration database available to Club members at the Club website.
  • Thanks Jon, I will try that
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Ok, here is what we have.  The pdf file named scan is the wiring diagram (such as it is) from the 1910 manual.  Your wiring may be slightly different due to the manufacturer of you bee box (battery system).  Attached are pics of the wiring for my car.  I just redid them.  Fairly simple and I think the brackets are something they would have done back in the day.  Certainly looks better than it did.  Excuse the water spots as I had a leaking hose clamp and need to clean it up.  The timer picture did not come out well (darn auto focus camera) but you can see a round disk with terminals.  The drawing is a good depiction of the timer.  And finally what you get after 107 years of polishing on the radiator badge.  Tried to paint it but the raised letter are to far gone.  I am going to etch some brass and make a reproduction but I am not sure I want to remove the old badge.  Well after I make a new one I will make that decision.

Jay

• thanks Jay, I appreciate the help!
  • How are the wires attached to the magneto?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

brass terminals on the mag.  Same nut style as on the firewall.

Jay

• so do I need to pull the cap off the mag?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

NO, do not dissemble the mag.  No need.  There should be a group (semi circle) of 4 terminals on the side of mag with a brown Bakelite face.  In fact there are on the Bakelite block or end.  The high tension sparkplug wire connects to these 4 brass thumb screws.  I will try and take a picture.

Jay 

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Looks like you have a later model Mag fitted.  I believe it should be a Bosch Du4.  Any 4 cylinder mag will work as long as it sparks ..... and at the right time.

Jay

• Do the wires just pull out then? I don't want to break anything LOL
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I don't know.  you could try looking up the mag in the internet since you have a data plate.  or just gently pull.  I hesitate to tell you to pull the cap since there are gears and other wonders of the universe under the cap.  Maybe someone else has more experience with this mag.  It could very well be something off a tractor, but I am only guessing at this point.

Jay