Twin H Weber Setup - Need Orders to make it happen

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited December 2016 in HUDSON
I talked to Larry at Clifford about a 2 x 2 manifold, as I don't want to remake something that is already done.  He said he had the designs all done but stopped at the tooling phase due to cost.  He said if he could get a minimum of 6 full up dual Weber manifolds w/ carbs setup (like this Jeep one: http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Jeep-258-Twin-38-Weber-Fuel-Delivery-System-08-7001J-258.htm) he would move on the project.  These would be the same price as the other makes $1,389 complete.  Obviously, he would like to have more than that if possible.  So I would be in if we could get more interest.  This would be usable on a stock engine.  The Weber does a better job of atomizing so it sprays into the plenum, not mixes.  These systems would be jetted and ready to go as delivered.  Yes it is more money but with the price of a stock Twin H going up and up this is not all that out of line.

Comments

• Would there be an option to have it jetted for a 262?
  • 50C8DAN
    edited December 2016
    You would need to ask.  Webers can be adjusted for various applications so my guess would be yes.  It looks like they fit small inline Chevy 6s in with the same setup so?  http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Chevy-235-261-Twin-38-Weber-Fuel-Delivery-System-08-7001-C235-261.htm
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    That is on an amc 258, so i wouid think depending on cam and such, a 262 would be right in tte ball park.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

There is a bunch more costs involved with putting webers on the Hudson.  I know because I am doing it.  You have linkage costs (make your own).  Then there is the modifying the passengers side inner fender.  The webers will not fit with the air cleaners on.  You have to open this up significantly (bentmetal did mine).  This is no small task.  Also make new fuel lines all the way around and I have not even gotten to the cost of the triple matching webers that you need. 

I am not trying to discourage but you need to go into this task with eyes wide open.  there is a very good reason why not many have put triple webers on their Hudsons.  Also Jason at vintage coach has had a difficult time getting the webers to take so little fuel.  I have a stroked 308 with a larger cam.  I am not sure you can find small enough webers for a 262.

But do as you wish as it does look cool.  It drains you pocket book, but it does have a cool factor.

Jay

• Jay G - The kit that is being proposed is a dual Weber setup so would there still be a concern with the inner fender well?  The other concerns you mention (linkage, tuning and carbs) seem to be included in the purchase price for the kit. If there are no clearance issues on the fender well it looks to be a bolt-on-and-go setup out of the box....aside from running the fuel lines. 
  • 50C8DAN
    Note these are downdraft carbs (2 2 bbls, not side draft like the 3x2 setup, So the fender clearance is not an issue.  Yes the linkage is included. You would still need to block off the stock exhaust manifold heat riser, or use headers that would be the major change.  According to Larry this is a much easier bolt and go setup than the 3x2 one.  If and when I use my 3 x 2 I would probably go with throttle bodies like this: https://foxinjection.com/products/heritage-throttle-body and not worry about jetting carbs.
  • 50C8DAN
    There are 3 signups for the new 2 x 2 Weber setup from Clifford that is yet to be built.  We need 3 more signups to make it happen!
  • two 32/36's would be best, not the fancy ones. I had a '70 BMW 2800 coupe and had triple Webers on it. couldn't get the jets lean enough for the 6 cylinder. Finally traded them for 2 of the 32/36 carbs and had chokes and lean enough and got 9 MPG more milage than with the three side drafts.

2 cents~~~

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

So how do we sign up?   Or did I miss that part?

Jay

• 50C8DAN
    I am just keeping a running list.  If you are in that makes 4, need two more.
  • Do You think the stock 308 dual carb air cleaners could be modified to fit these webers?

regards

J
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Yes, I am in.

Jay

• 50C8DAN
    I don't know if they could be modified or not?  The Webers are definitely larger as they are 2bbls.  However, where there is a will there is a way!
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Jeep 258 Twin 38 Weber Fuel Delivery System
    I think I am already on the list? If not, add me.
    Don Crane
  • 50C8DAN
    This is who I have so far:

Ryan P.
    Don C.
    Jay G
    Dan W.
  • BillUSN1
    BillUSN1 Member
    edited May 2017

I may be interested in just a manifold. But since I do not run carbs at all anymore, I certainly wouldn't want 2 of them on my Hudson!!!

I could easily drill and install injector bungs into those runners.

Do these have a fixed carb bolt pattern or do they have the 4 bolt open plenum and allow different adapters for each carb pattern?

;-)

Already running a twin H with dual 1bbl EFI.

Next will be custom intake and MPFI.

Then MPFI and turbo..

• Sign us up. Mats and Jimmy Nordqvist 
  • 50C8DAN
    Well that is now 5.  Bill Larry said he would not just sell the manifolds as he is trying to recoup money on the setup to get the tooling and the first parts made.
  • 50C8DAN
    Bill here is a manifold that would probably work for your FI setup!

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/44-4500WH-44-4500WH.htm

• 50C8DAN
    I am holding on to my trip manifold for a '37 Terraplane rod project.  This will be my last Hudson project if I get it done.  I would not think of using it for a stepdown.  The 2x2 weber concept would be fine for a stepdown however.  The 4bbl setup from Clifford also has been used successfully by several stepdown owners over the years as well as raced in round/rounds.  Bernie Siegfried used one on his last race car and also the Wasp that was sold a few years back by his son I believe.  Also as I noted to Bill this manifold I think would be great for a port or even TB injection setup.   Just the weight savings alone makes it a plus IMHO.
  • If anyone has a triple Weber side draft intake they are willing to sell, I would love to have the opportunity to purchase one.

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

As for the fender talk to Perry Spring (bentmetal).  He did a great job on mine.  The goal was for it to look factory.  As for the 9 mpg, if the engine is stock and your running the street. Yes, the jets are to rich as it came from Clifford.  The unit was for racing.  However, we have reduced the jets and are tuning mine for a stroked 308 so I hope to do better than 9 mpg.  I don't know yet the final number as we are still playing with it.

Jay

• 50C8DAN
    OK it looks like we may have 6 commitments (7 counting me) to make the Twin H Weber setup from Cllfford.  These are the ones that have responded:

nrdqqvist Jimmy and Matt
    Ryan P
    Don C
    Jay G.
    and amximum

I will send emails to confirm their interest and if committed I will contact Larry and see if he still wants to move forward on his side.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Still in!
    Don
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Yep, I am still in. 

Jay

This discussion has been closed.