Spec on turning Stepdown front drums

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
I've searched the ,manuals, but does anyone have a numerical maximum for turning front drums on a 1951 Commodore? Mine are already .060 over and out-of-round.

Peter Sefton

Comments

• IMO, if they aren't badly scored and already at +.060, you could remove just enough to make 'em round again. That, of course, depends on how far you need to go to achieve a round drum. Are they round but non-concentric or egg-shaped?

In any case, if you true them up, don't go any further than you must. Leaving a little "witness" in the scored areas won't affect braking much, if at all, and shows that you didn't take any more than necessary.

A drum at +.060 will require that the shoes be properly "arced" before installation (assuming that you are relining the shoes). Failing to do so will result in very poor brake performance even though you have new components. Finding a shop (unless you are equipped to do it yourself) is a bit of a  challenge these days. Finding a kid who even knows what a drum is might even be a challenge.  

I never said any of this and you must eat it after reading it.

Frank

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited November 2016

I don't believe you'll find any linings made with the "A" word except in cases where one stumbles across some NOS or old relined shoes. True, if you don't know the history of your "new" shoes, best to be cautious. If occasional, inadvertent exposure was deadly, I wouldn't be here to write this......may I'm not............

Eat this one too. Call it "dessert".

F

• pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
    thanks all, these are great suggestions'

peter s.
  • There is a place in , Los Angles I believe that will put a new drum into your outer drum / hub . I’ll try to fine them but google a little and maybe you can find them. Get new stock drums .....mmmmm
  • supersix said:
    Here ya go 
    I called and spoke to this company a couple of months ago. They told me they can recondition Hudson drums. The cost was something like $300.00 each. I figured that for $1200 plus shipping , I could just go with four wheel disc brakes, and get it over with.
  • 54coupe said:
    supersix said:
    Here ya go 
    I called and spoke to this company a couple of months ago. They told me they can recondition Hudson drums. The cost was something like $300.00 each. I figured that for $1200 plus shipping , I could just go with four wheel disc brakes, and get it over with.
    I found my notes... 350 each for the fronts, and 300 for the rears on a 54 Hornet. Plus shipping each way. 
  • I’m installing a disc brake set up from Scarebird. You might want to check them out. 125 for the brackets. Rotors, loaded calipers, hoses , were slightly less than 200.00 you have to remove the hubs from the drums and machine a small shoulder off of the hub and enlarge the hole in the rotor about 5 thousandth. New bearings and seals were 180. This set up allows a stock master cylinder to be used although a proportioning valve may be necessary for the rears. 
  • Here is a pic of what needs to be done to the hub. Took longer to chuck ‘em up than to turn ‘em down.
This discussion has been closed.