Dale Cooper has the new sway bars in stock.

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
Dale has the new heavy duty sway bars in stock.

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Mine is currently in transit.  Will post findings when it's installed.  
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited March 2016

WOW, excited for you guys; been driving with mine for about 8 months now.  AWESOME !!!

• parkerm
    parkerm Expert Adviser
    Can theses sway bars be fitted to a 1940?
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited March 2016
    The HD  bars are basically the same as stock stepdown except diameter; they had a stock bar when made and  were patterned after that stock bar. SO, borrow a stock bar and check.
  • RL Chilton
    I thought the 40's were narrower than the later Step Downs.  
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    I put an order in about two weeks ago.  They're out of stock again, but more are coming.  If you're thinking about it, probably want to call and get on the list for the next wave.  Not sure how many he has coming, but he is expecting them to come a lot quicker than the first batch he had ordered.
  • Kdancy

Sorry for the delay Kerry, bars are going into production tomorrow.

From ADDCO

Thank you,

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2016

To 'whet your appetite': HD bar vs orig anti-swaybar

1st is HD bar

2nd is stock bar but with new links and poly bushings {if you don't get an HD bar, for goodness get aftermarket links and poly bushings; but get links that will make the bar arms level with road; my aftermarket ones shown with orig. bar are too long~~}

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for posting the comparison photos.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2016

Another showing difference. The cross section area of the HD bar is 2.3 times the area of the stock Hudson bar.

PIE are square !!!

top & bottom are HD

middle is OEM

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    For us non-matheticians,

What was the OD of the original anti-sway bar?

And what is the OD of the new HI anti-sway bar?

Did Hudson offer a Severe Usage sway bar and if so, was it the same ID as this new bar?
  • orig: 3/4"
    HD: 1-1/8"
    no info

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Talking to Dale Cooper the other day, and he said that it was odd that Hudson offered a Severe Usage bar for the Jet, but never did offer one for the Stepdowns.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Well, for sure the Jet  could put a heavier bar to good use !   It's rather clunky to go into a tight turn with the standard sway bar.  But then, I guess that most people that bought economy cars up to that time were not in a habit of forcing the car thru a tight corner at speed !
  • How do those these new bars perform?  Is body roll significantly reduced?  Does it compromise the ride quality?  What is the cost for something like this?  Would I need any special tools to install?
  • RL Chilton
    edited April 2016
    This is what I posted on the other forum:

Just got back inside from road-testing with the new sway bar. All I can say is, "WOW!". Virtually no body roll even hard into turns. Car floats through flat, true, tracks like a dream. I'm very pleased with the results. If this car had radials, it would be quite a ride. I've got to get another bar for the sedan now.

Really, if you think about it, along with metal fatigue, I'm sure the stock sway bars get sloppy over time and it's inner tensile strength is (most likely) not what with which they started out life. That would allow considerable more flex, translating to more body roll. Money well spent.

No special tools needed.  If I remember right, they cost around $250
  • Is this something that can be installed using a floor jack?

RichardD, where did you get those links and bushings?  Do they simply bolt right into the existing holes?

This is tempting, because my '54 has crazy body roll...
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2016

You get the complete set, Powder coated bar, links, poly link and frame bushings, and brackets.  Think I had to file some on the bracket holes but not much. At least that is the way mine came.

You will NOT have body roll with this item---at least I don't: "ANY"{no 90 degree curves at 100 tho lol}.
    Floor jack will work but you shouldn't have one side higher than the other.

Believe you can do this by laying on the floor without raising the car.
    Yes, on use existing holes. I did buy new grade 8 bolts for the frame brackets,and chased the threads, & double nutted the links.

Every stepdown should have this item; perhaps except trailer queens.

You agree, Russ?

• hudsn47
    hudsn47 Senior Contributor
    I'm on the next order for the Hornet project. Will eventually get one for the Pacemonster, lol.
  • How does the heavier sway bar affect the ride quality?
  • dlydonmn7fav
    dlydonmn7fav Expert Adviser

to me the car just feels better more firm, but the real prof is in the corning

dan

• I think I'm sold... How do I order?
  • Kdancy
    http://www.hudsonmotorcarco.com/
    Give Dale a call ----- He carries a full line of Hudson mechanical parts as well.

• RL Chilton

Agreed, Richard.  Better ride, better handling.  Win-win situation.  I love mine.  I want to get another one for my sedan.  
  • Are these bars the same quality steel as a stock bar would be? Just concerned about safety. Thanks
  • Company has been making anti-sway bars for 52 years without a problem. Probably would depend on how fast you drive ??

>>>  http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/about/

• Airbrushguy, I can't give you any specifics on the metallurgy, but I can tell you that I'm VERY happy with the bar I purchased.

Some notes:
    -The bar is MUCH thicker and heavier than the stock bar.  It's not even close.  It's powder-coated and seems super-heavy-duty.
    -The supplied bushing brackets and washers didn't quite fit my 1954 Hornet - they were too small.  Simple enough fix, I just had to file out the bolt slots in the brackets, and use different washers.
    -The bar is so thick that it was not going to clear the metal "tray" under the radiator (sorry, I don't know the proper name for this piece).  Again, it's a simple enough fix, as I plan to simply trim the piece a bit.

With all that being said, I am very glad I got it, as I no longer feel like I'm turning a WWI-era biplane... :-)
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited July 2016

photo of stock and HD bars {0.75" vs 1.125"}; stock bar in center; HD bars top and bottom.

click on photo>>

• Does he have them in stock? I sent him email but he didn't reply.
  • call phone number !!!
This discussion has been closed.