PM and Attach a file

PaulButler
PaulButler Administrator
should now be working for everyone.

I've sorted out the database corruption caused by the upgrade done late last year and using the test hack we have I am able to send PMs and attach a file again now.

Now I hope it's sorted for everyone but if you should encounter a problem then please let me know and I'll work with you to fix it

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    thanks for your efforts
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Paul,

Thanks for debugging the site and getting us back in working order.

John Forkner

• Thank you Paul

J
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2016

Private Messaging (PM)

Please, do not use 'Activity' (The open text window in your individual profile pages). 

If you are attempting to send a Private Message (PM) to a fellow forum member, please click-on their handle in any thread.  Within their profile page, click on 'Message' - in the upper right area of the screen (just below and to the right of the yellow warning message).

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Photos are loading , but do not enlarge when I click on them. Seems we had that feature before?
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Can you give me an example of where that is happening? I have been able to enlarge photos okay  
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    If you look at my test post here : http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/168316/test-post#latest you'll see the photo which has been included in-line in the post.

If I click on that it opens up in a new tab.

If I click on the "small" photo it opens up in the browser page

What behaviour are you seeing?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

1954 SuperJet project car. The group of photos don't enlarge when I click on them.

I have internet explorer.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Depends on what you mean by "enlarge" in this instance. How the photos are posted will determine what happens with them.

When I click on a photo it opens it up in a new frame for me. If I click the "+" button the size of the photo doesn't change because it's been loaded at its optimum size and can't be made any larger.

Is that the behaviour you see?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Hi Paul . If you look at Russ's test photo, The small photo is the size that is normally posted.

At all the other forums I use , if you click on the small photo it enlarges to the size of the upper photo he shows. Doesn't happen on any of the smaller photos on any of the posts. It used to work here , about 3

months ago ? Not complaining , just pointing it out.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited January 2016
    No thanks for pointing it out. As I said it works for me so I'll do a bit more digging to see if there is a reason why it won't for you, Out of interest what version of IE are you using?

I've tried it in Chrome , Firefox ,  IE11 and Microsoft Edge. Firefox renders the better "large" picture but I can't duplicate it not opening.

Do me a favour; try again and let me know what time you did it so I can so if any errors are thrown at this end
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Below are two pictures, one has been 'inserted' into the thread, the other is just 'attached' - but available for viewing, full size (i.e., must be 'clicked-on' to view full size image).

When doing the 'Attach a file' (and before posting), put the pointer over the photo and you will see 'Insert image' and 'Delete'.  Click 'Insert image' to put the image into the post/thread in an enlarged size.

Also, from what I've seen/experienced - One must be logged-in on the forum to experience/see the full size images that are not 'inserted' into the thread.  That may be what some are experiencing (only able to see the small pictures, which will not enlarge). 
    Of course, there are always those that post a 'preview' image of photos (which are small) by mistake.  A small photo will display as a small photo - the forum software will not correct that.

76.JPG 247.2K
    77.JPG 263.9K
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

10:58 am , I clicked on Ricks photo on the left , no enlargement.

Windows 8.2

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Does for me on Google Chrome.  
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Rick's small left photo does not enlarge for me with ie. Lee O'Dell
  • Lee ODell
    It did not enlarge at 10o:38
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    So  frustrated!  Can't get these or any others to enlarge.  Please help

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    It works for me on my MAC.  
  • Lee ODell
    If you look at my test post here : http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/168316/test-post#latest you'll see the photo which has been included in-line in the post.

If I click on that it opens up in a new tab.

If I click on the "small" photo it opens up in the browser page

What behaviour are you seeing?

If I click on your small photo nothing happens.  If I click on the large photo it reduces a little in size but not near as small as lower small photos.
    Lee O'Dell

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    So  frustrated!  Can't get these or any others to enlarge.  Please help

Ric,

Can you let me know what browser you are using please? I can't get this behaviour to repeat itself and I have as many versions of available browsers as I possibly can loaded on my machine
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Using Windows 10,  with google Chrome.   Don't know how to find out which Chrome version.

Sorry, "computer challenged"

"Ric"
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I have made a small tweak to the website and now , hopefully, everyone who was having problems enlarging pictures won't have them :)

Let me know if you still do however either via this post or PM.

I've had one person test it who was having a problem (thanks Ric!) so let's see how it goes
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Works for me now Paul. Thank you.
    One tiny problem is that when I enlarge the small pic, the enlargement happens on the same url as I was previously on. Would it be possible for the enlargement to happen in a new tab?
    Cheers
    Dave Y
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Not sure on that one to be honest Dave; I'll have to go check and see if that behaviour can be set up.

A quick and dirty solution is to right click the picture and select "Open in new Tab" from there but let me see what configuration may be possible to do that automatically
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Okay ; tweak tested in the "test" site and applied here. Any photo now selected should open in a new tab; it worked for me so please give it a go!
  • Pics are not showing for me, using my phone, but when I click on the pic icon, the pic opens right up.
    So I'm all good.
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    edited April 2019
    attach a file is not working? Error message "the file failed to upload"
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    fliptop said:
    attach a file is not working? Error message "the file failed to upload"
    At the moment there is something fighting on the site. I have allowed files up to 16MB in size but there is a setting somewhere that is limiting files to be 4MB or less so check the size of the file/picture you want to upload and if it's bigger than 4MB shrink it a little and it should load
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    It didn’t enlarge till I sighed in then everything ok 
  • Paul, you were right I reduced the file size and it loaded. Thanks JC
This discussion has been closed.