Trunk air conditioner

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Has anyone ever installed one of those trunk a/c units in Stepdown?  Looks like a viable alternative in light of the trunk space, especially on a coupe.  Any thoughts pro and con will be appreciated.  

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Nope.  But seen plenty on other cars.  It's a bit of work, particularly finding good routes for hoses.  If you have a lot of rear-seat passengers, I know they will be most appreciative.  And actually, if you go with the plastic tubes that rise up out of the back deck and send the air up high, the whole cabin will enjoy the AC.  I thought about maybe having 2 evaporators when I installed AC in the sedan.  Maybe someday.  Honestly, don't think the effort would be any more difficult in a step-down than in any other period car.  There's certainly more trunk room than there is under-dash room (can't believe I'm actually criticizing Under-dash room in a Stepdown.  
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    About 8 years ago I looked at a stepdown with rear A/C and plastic tubes that was for sale. I was told it was factory. Maybe it was dealer installed? It took up a lot of trunk space. The A/C in trunk looked similar to what I have seen in 50's Cadillacs. Lee O'Dell
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    In my present car, I hid the a/c where the passenger glove box is located. If I do it again on another Stepdown, I'm looking to put it somewhere where the glove box isn't sacrificed.  I think I'll keep the trunk space intact also.  
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2016

I have both plastic tubes from trunk unit,GM, to headliner if anyone is interested.

{edit: for sale}

PM

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Richard-

Do you mean For Sale? 
  • Does anyone have pictures of this "in trunk A/C"?

thanks

J
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited January 2016
    Did not display pictures so removed post

• I also wonder if someone can provide such photos. I can't find on the web something related. But I don't wonder why, it's definitely not a typical request. I like the idea of having plastic tubes that rise up out of the back deck. It will help to level airflow, but this construction can be tricky in using. Also, it could worsen your interior design. And I don't even mention maintaining. I often order chemical cleaning from https://www.airconservicing.org/type-of-aircon-service/, so I can't imagine how they will manage the cleaning. But these concerns are not so crucial.
  • A two minute google search turned up Classic Auto Air, Old Air Products, and Vintage Air, as suppliers of trunk mounted units.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I do know that Smitti P. in Colorado has a 54 sedan with the factory/dealer installed AC unit in the trunk.  It has the clear plastic tubes that come out of the back package deck.   I have photos of it somewhere. 
  • Hey guys I have Dwain Epting’s 54 Hornet Special, from Midland, TX, in my shop and it has a rear AC unit in the trunk w the plastic tubes plus an under dash unit. I can take pics this weekend of all of it. The rear unit doesn’t have the AC lines connected but it is all routed. 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Smitti Pock sent me these photos to post of his 54 sedan with air conditioning.

This discussion has been closed.