1932 Hudson Essex Street Rod

coolhud
coolhud Member
edited January 2016 in Street Rods

Hey all, I've just purchased a 1932 Hudson Essex street rod project. My question is regarding the front windshield surround. How was the glass installed? Was it in a frame or no?

Thanks in advance Bob

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Welcome aboard! good to have you.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here, and knowledgeable people to provide advise and guidance.

You may want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

You'll also find a link to our Facebook group as well (at my signature, below).

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    To answer your question, YES, there was a windshield frame which held the glass and was top hinged to open for ventilation, like all cars made in that era.

• Thanks for the answer. This is my first earlier era vehicle. Past has been 60's muscle cars. So i'm going to be asking a lot of dumb questions. Does anyone have a detailed photo of windshield mechanics, as i'm going to have to have a frame made.
    Cheers.
  • Appreciate the welcome.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    edited October 2015
    Can anyone comment on whether the '32 Essex and '32-33 Essex-Terraplane windshield frames are different or are they the same?   Parts book research would reveal something too.

This company makes new frames that are outstanding quality.  They list '33 Essex (meaning Essex-Terraplane)
    http://www.windshieldframes.com/Products/Essex.asp
    Their Hudson page lists '32 Hudson.   I think the Hudson and Essex share the same windshield.  Comments?
    http://www.windshieldframes.com/Products/Hudson.asp

• faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I do know that 32 Essex Terraplane and 33 Terraplane windshields are different, so it's a safe bet that the 32 Big Essex is entirely different. All 32 Essex Terraplane windshield frames are flat across the top, similar to 33 Terraplane convertibles and roadsters. I had a good portion of a 32 Essex a few years back, and there was nothing I could find that resembled 32/33 Terraplane. Different beast altogether...
  • I do know that 32 Essex Terraplane and 33 Terraplane windshields are different, so it's a safe bet that the 32 Big Essex is entirely different. All 32 Essex Terraplane windshield frames are flat across the top, similar to 33 Terraplane convertibles and roadsters. I had a good portion of a 32 Essex a few years back, and there was nothing I could find that resembled 32/33 Terraplane. Different beast altogether...
    Sorry if this is a dumb question. What is a 32 Big Essex?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hudson made three cars in 1932: the regular Hudson (a full sized car), the Essex (a lower priced Hudson, somewhat smaller) and the then-new Essex Terraplane, an even smaller car.  The "big Essex" would have been the "regular" Essex (not Terraplane) and probably shared more body parts with the larger Hudson, than with the smaller Essex Terraplane.
  • Thanks for all the info on the windshield and frame. New question does anyone reproduce any of the door bumpers or seals or really any rubber components that are found on these cars?

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser

Call these guys for rubber parts

• Awesome. Thank you so much.
  • coolhud
    coolhud Member
    edited January 2016
    imageDoes anyone have a photo of the hood ornament atop  the grill shell for a 1932 Hudson Essex 5 window coupe.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks 33Hudson. How rare are these cars as it seems information and images on the internet seem to reveal modest results at best.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2016
    Excuse me, but isn't the mascot for the '32 Essex, a bird?

• boothguy
    boothguy Senior Contributor
     My 32 Big Essex has the bird like Jon shows in the pix above
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Mike Paul in New Zealand has reproduced these 'birds'

Dave Young
  • Appreciate the correction guys. Super picture John B, thank you. Is there a contact for  Mike Paul?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2016
    Bob, here is a link to a "Hudson Repro Parts" webpage I maintain.  http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf

Go down to the Exterior Trim and Brightwork section, the hood ornament is listed there.  There is a photo of it in the photo section, and Mike Paul's contact info is shown, keyed to his listing for the part.

• Again, thanks Jon.

• Got my  dash done. Gas tank built and installed

One door panel.

And Glass installed. Getting close now

• Hey all. How were the 32's labelled with their vin's and model #'s? Was it a plate on the firewall with all id or #'s stamped somewhere on the vehicle? Any one have a picture of id tag if this is what they had? Thanks.
  • I realize this thread is fairly old, I just bought a '32, I need to purchase/build many parts, any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.  

Where did you get your windshield trim and hardware?
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    Samra,  what model 32 did you pick up?  What parts are you looking for.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    By "model", we mean: Hudson?  Essex?  Essex-Terraplane?  There are differences.
  • Samra, I have a 32 Essex Terraplane Sedan, trying to replace front suspension ,what is your wheel mounting to wheel mounting width on yours?
This discussion has been closed.