28 essex super six tires

Are there anyother tires that will work on the 20'' wheels for essex besides paying Coker over 1,300$ for set?
Thinking some type implement or truck tire.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    have you simply plugged the tire size into Google or your favorite search engine.  Have you checked companies like Universal and Lucas? I think there are probably some others out there.  You're looking for bias-ply tires, I assume.  Or are you trying to find radials?
  • I'll look again Jon B,but I think Coker has an monopoly on anything  they think is  classic. If you see something let me know. thanks for the reply though.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    As Jon says, there are other  sellers of these  sizes.  You won't get anything  else to fit.  Shop around., but be prepared to spend some money, unfortunately these are a specialty item and are not going to be as cheap as modern  tyres. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just did a quick internet surf.

First, the tire size.  You say 20" wheels, but  Alex Burr's Mechanical Specs (on the HET websit) give the tire size as "30 x 5 balloon, straight side"

So, using that, I roamed the Internet a bit and found a couple of alternatives:

Lucas Tire Co. -- Firestone 4.75/5.00 x 30 blackwall  $160 each

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/475-500-20-Firestone-BW-747950L.htm

Universal Tire Co. -- Lester 4.75/500 x 30 blackwall tire  $158 each

https://www.universaltire.com/lester-tires/lester-bias-ply-tires/475-500-20-lester-blackwall.html

I looked through Coker's catalog but didn't even see those tire sizes shown, so I'm not sure where you came up with the $1300 for four.

Hope that helps!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    30 x 5 was the original correct nomenclature.   (How do you like for a big word!)   The 30 referred to the outside diameter, and the 5 was the sidewall height.  Not long afterwards they changed to the side-wall height followed by the wheel size, hence 500 x 20.   As there were some cars used 4.50, some 475, and some 500 size tyres, as a matter of economy they made a group sizing, usually based on the 4.75 height. and most are marked as 4.75/500 x 20.   There are some brands are a bigger profile than others.  I had Universal 650.19's on the front of my '29 Hudson, and Lester on the rear.   The rear tyres were a full inch higher than the Universal, but the Universal were $50 cheaper,  so it pays to enquire as to the exact profile.   You have done well with your research Jon.  I wish we could get them for that price here.   Ironically, Firestone used to make all vintage size tyres here in N.Z. but about 30 years ago the parent company demanded that all the molds be sent back to the U.S.  As an aside, when I first bought my Essex back in 1956 the tyres were equivalent of $14.25, which sounds cheap, but that was a week's wages, so they are still cheaper today than back when!
    Geoff 
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    I'll tell you this:  tubes from Lucas have an outstanding excellent reputation.   Tubes from Coker DO NOT.   I have a '17 Dodge Bros and last year purchased Lester brand 32 x 5 tires, tubes, flaps and hardware all from Lucas.   Very pleased.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Okay, I'll try one last time, since I seem to have misunderstood the archaic tire system.  Today I spoke to a friend as we stood next to his 1929 Essex  He said that the original tires were 5.00 x 20 but he himself had installed 5.25 x 20's many years before (which are the tires now).  I have no idea whether the 1928 tires are the same size. But if they are, Universal sells a Lester tire that's 4.75/5.00 x 20, for $158.   https://www.universaltire.com/lester-tires/lester-bias-ply-tires/475-500-20-lester-blackwall.html Others might have one cheaper....you'll have to look at Lucas and Kelsey to see.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That's about a economical as you will get Jon, and a good buy at that, when compared to what one would pay for instance for a modern 4WD tyre.   Yes 500 20, or 30 x 5 was the original size, and 525 20's are probably about the same size as the originals because of the smaller molds used these days. 
  • Thx for feedback,havn't ordered any tires as of yet,noticed some type wood bore making sawdust out of my wooden wheels,got the front 2 off and soaked in insecticide,been painting the back 2 same.Still waiting for machine shop to make the puller to get the back wheels off.

Wanting to clean the rust off the wheels anyway before mounting tires.

Just trying to see whats out there as far as new tires go.

Thank you,

Steve

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm not sure how much the machine shop is going to charge for that puller, but there appears to be an original one on sale on Ebay right now, for $75.  I don't know about these pullers so you would want to verify the thread size with the seller, but I'd think that this would be way cheaper than having one made!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-29-HUDSON-1927-29-ESSEX-TOOL-KIT-WOOD-WHEEL-HUB-PULLER-11074-2-1-2-16-/371353225896?hash=item5676608aa8&vxp=mtr
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That's an original puller.  You could not get one machined for the price, depending on how high it goes on bidding of course. 
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    edited June 2015
    Is that puller correct for a 30 Essex as well?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     No, the '30 Essex was a smaller diameter hub.
  • G ot my puller made,works great wheels popped right off.Now to get to work refinishing them.Would tractor enamel be a good choice to paint the wood?  Think I'll use it on the metal. 
  • thanks to all on the discussion of where to get tires.  20+ years ago, when I got my 29 Essex, I got 4.5/4.75/5.0 - 20 from Coker (tires and tubes).    The are "Marathon" by Goodyear.   I ordered these because that was what the existing "Spare" tire was.
    As near as I can tell, they are no longer available. (bummer)
This discussion has been closed.