Sunvisor brackets

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
I would like to purchase all three brackets for the outside visor on a stepdown. Anyone have a source? I noticed that there are two different part numbers for the visors. What is the difference?

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Dave, There were Hollywood/Convert brackets that are a tad different from the standard brackets .  Hollywoods were a bit longer(wider?)  Never saw any major difference if a standard bracket was  put on a convert though.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    I have the visor brackets.  How many do you need?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Do you have the center bracket for the 54 Hornet that bolts to the roof with a place for roof mount antenna.
    For one piece windshield  Hudsonly  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi Bent metal do you have the center bracket to hold the center of the outside visor  Ray
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Dave, There were Hollywood/Convert brackets that are a tad different from the standard brackets .  Hollywoods were a bit longer(wider?)  Never saw any major difference if a standard bracket was  put on a convert though.
    Difference in brackets is smaller ones fit all 1948-1951 and 52/53/54lower price models.  Larger ones are made for 1952 Commodore and 52,53/54 Hornet.  The need for extra size is to clear the stainless on the higher priced models,

• SuperDave

That's just what I was thinking. That extra stainless could make it a tight fit. Blocking more air flow and making it a tight fit for the end brackets where it attaches to the rain gutter.. I had one disaster at 70 MPH. There must be some relief for that trapped air to get out..   I did order a set of brackets from Bent Metal. My visor is a fiberglass replica. looks like the original was used as a plug for the mold. It will not have the center exterior stainless trim piece.  I wonder who made these visors and when? It was in the trunk of a junk Hudson I bought years ago. There was a center bracket that was very flimsy.. no end brackets.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    A fellow in Hillsboro TX made Fiberglass visors for Hudsons and other cars for years. Do not know if he is still in biz
  • bent metal
    Duncan,  I have the center bracket that attaches to the center windshield divider.  On the underside, not the outside stainless trim.  As well as the brackets that attach to the drip rail. 
  • SuperDave
    Got the brackets from Perry today... Superb! Highly recommended.  Now to figure out how to make center trim for the outside center that will look similar to the original one.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited March 2015
    super Dave - there is a visor topside stainless center piece on eBay now auction # is

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Our 54 Hornet has a single piece windshield so I need the center bracket that bolts on the roof around the roof mounted antenna.Used only one year. Do you bent metal have this bracket.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • bent metal

Thank you 'super dave'!  :)  Glad you like it.

Duncan, I don't have the '54 type.  I have seen pictures.  I know what you're talking about.  But I don't have those.  If I could get one for a sample, I could probably copy them and make them available.

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Bent Metal-

I'm glad y'all brought up this thread.  I was looking at the visor on the convertible. and it is slammed tight against the trim above the windshield.  On the sedan, there is a gap.  Can you make a set of the larger brackets and do you make them from stainless?  If so, I need a set.  
    imageimage
  • bent metal

That's because you have the early brackets on there.  '48-9, or so.  I have the longer brackets, in stainless.

• Hi Bent Metal:

I have the smaller brackets and they will not clear my windshield stainless. Do you still have for sale the stainless larger brackets for the sunvisor to fit the 53 Hornet?  I would like a pair.  Please PM me at popgun7@comcast.net or provide me with you email or phone number and I can send payment.  Thanks.

• bent metal
    PM sent.  thanks.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Bent metal - sent you a PM
  • Hi I’ve got a 53 Hornet and I’m looking for a sun visor for it but I’m not sure what i need specifically. A gentlemen offered me one off his wasp but I’m pretty sure that won’t work. Any info about the sun visor would be greatly appreciated.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The attached PDF will provide the information you are asking for TusconTony
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Hi I’ve got a 53 Hornet and I’m looking for a sun visor for it but I’m not sure what i need specifically. A gentlemen offered me one off his wasp but I’m pretty sure that won’t work. Any info about the sun visor would be greatly appreciated.

Wasp and Hornet use the same visor. Bracket may need to be modified per above post
  • bent metal
    Don't need to cut up your short brackets.  Buy the longer ones from me.  I have a set ready to ship.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    compare the brackets... this is one of Guys pictures... His brackets are 1st Class!

• Is that a visor to a 53 with the brackets ? How much?

Don't need to cut up your short brackets.  Buy the longer ones from me.  I have a set ready to ship.

• Thanks!

Glowplug said:
    The attached PDF will provide the information you are asking for TusconTony

• I just bought a 1951 Hudson Hornet and ready to fix it up! I am looking to buy a sun visor but cannot seem to find one or I just don’t know what I’m actually doing to be honest?? this is me first time ever owning a hornet so I would love to get as much guidance as possible. I keep seeing sun visors for Chevy, Oldsmobile etc but specifically for hornets... I’m thinking maybe because they all fit (except the truck visors)?? I also have questions about the brackets; so far I’ve read that there’s two kinds - Hollywood (large) and standard (small). But I’m not sure which would fit my car.
  • @bent metal I am looking to buy a sun visor with the large brackets. Is it still available?
This discussion has been closed.