BBO Javelin

I have a 69 BBO 390, 4-speed, has the roof spoiler. Whats the difference between a Go-Pacv and Mod Pack.

Thanks

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    maasfh wrote:
    I have a 69 BBO 390, 4-speed, has the roof spoiler. Whats the difference between a Go-Pacv and Mod Pack.

Thanks

Does the BBO stand for Big Bad Orange? Besides the three Big Bad colors Green, Orange and Blue, the bumpers were painted body color. The Big Bad package inclueded heavy duty cooling, suspension; limited slip differential; power front disc brakes.

I've not heard of Mod Pack. That may be a reference to "the optional dealer-installed high-performance parts(cams and kits, intake manifolds and carburetors coupled with other Group 19 items) for customizing your Javelin or AMX for fun and performance." Quote from AMAZING AMC MUSCLE by Edrie J. Marquez.

In 1980 I bought my 69 Big Bad Green AMX, automatic, from my Uncle Rex who purchased it new.

I can't remember when the last time I saw a Javelin around here. There are several AMXs running around here. Even a couple of BBG ones. But they both have black stripes and mine has white stripes.

How about telling more about your Javelin and post some pictures.

Lee O'Dell
  • Lee ODell
    Sold my 1969 AMX a few months ago. A friend wanted it worse than I wanted to keep it.
    Lee O'Dell
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    imageimage
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    This is my '70 AMX I hope to sell at the Auctions America Spring Auction in Auburn, Indiana on May 10th!
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Thats a great looking AMX!
    The 70 is my favorite year for AMC. I always wanted a 70 AMX, one of my all time favorite cars.

• Lee ODell
    5433HET
    You have one of the best looking AMXs I have seen. It is beautiful.

Kdancy
    Know is your chance.

Lee O'Dell
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Cool! Spent my formative years crewing on a Hurst SS AMX. Great times.

• 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the kind remarks.i am selling to start the restoration on my '33, and also finish my '71 Javelin AMX 401 4 speed.
    Twin H, I bet you have some great stories! SS AMX's are legendary.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    AMC was a little strange in the muscle cars they built.  Most of them were only produced a few years - it was almost as if the company was telling the big boys "see we can do it to!!!!"  And the ones they did produce were screamers.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Lee ODell
    5433HET
    Keep us up to date on your restorations. If the 33 and 71 turn out anything like the 70 AMX they will be stunning. Keep up the good work. By the way what car is the 33?

Twin H
    Would like to hear some of your experiences with Hurst SS AMX.

One night it was late with no traffic I decided I wanted to see how fast the AMX would go. The car was still pulling strong at 135 mph when I realized I was riding on old tires rated at less than 90 mph I shut her down. I went to North Hollywood Speedometer shop to have the speedometer checked for accuracy because I always thought there was a speed error. When the speedometer needle was on 135 the real speed was 155 mph.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Sydd, that's a great story!
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Lee, thanks! my '33 is an Essex Terraplane LWB coach, I found this in a barn in 1970 when I was 17 years old. It hasn't been used since WW 2.
    Here's a pic of my '71 Javelin AMX, a work in progress!

I also have a first gen Javelin I restored a few years ago,in the Transl Am style.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Keep in mind NASCAR Legend Bobby Allison successfully raced an AMC Javlin in 1975 Season..
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Matador?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    AMC or Dodge?
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Bobby Allison wasn't the only one running in circles back in the day with a Matador.  Ad to the list Mark Donahue, Dave Marcis, Donny Allison, Gary Bettenhausen, George Follmer, Jocko Maggiacomo. Jim Paschal was tearing up the real estate with a Javelin back around 1970.  And he was running a 343 destroked to 305!!!

Racing AMC Javelin versions competed successfully in the Trans-Am Series with the Penske Racing/Mark Donohue team team, as well as with the Roy Woods ARA team sponsored by American Motors Dealers. The Javelin won the Trans-Am title in 1971, 1972, and 1976. Drivers includedGeorge Follmer and Mark Donohue.

And they are still around -  A fellow name of Jim Richards raced a Javelin AMX in theTouring Car Masters in Australia, coming second in the overall 2012 series

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
This discussion has been closed.