Need help! Buy 63 Rambler? or 64 Galaxie?? or BOTH??

Unknown
edited November -1 in American Motors
A friends dad is willing to sell his 63 Rambler for $1000 to me, but I dont have the money yet... I'm trying to sell my jeep to get the money.

But then I met a gentleman who said he is willing to trade his 64 Galaxie for my Jeep! But I owe $3500 to my grandma for the jeep....

I was originally going to sell my Jeep for the 3500, pay my Grandma 2000 back, and buy the Rambler for 1G and replace the tires and little things...

Until....

Ed offered the trade for the Galaxie...

Now Im at a loss...

please email me or respond here!!

vvings2fli2u@rocketmail.com

(thats 2 v's... not a w)

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!

~Kitty~:D

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Okay, so now it seems to me you have two choices (depending upon how motivated you are to pursue this matter!):

1. Say no to Mister Galaxie and continue to sell the Jeep.

2. Trade the Jeep for the Galaxie, then sell the Galaxie (assuming you still prefer the Rambler after seeing the Galaxie!) and use THAT money to pay back Grandma / buy the Rambler.

Number 1 needs no explanation. That's what you originally intended to do.

Number 2 presents two problems:

1. This horse trading starts to get complicated! Are you up for it?

2. The Galaxie may or may not have equal value to the Jeep, at two levels:

First, people may prize a Jeep (you didn't say what the year was) more highly than a 1964 Galaxie (you didn't mention the model or body style). You can determine this by looking in the used car value guides, or by going to an antique car advertising site like www.Hemmings.com to see just what these things are selling for. (Try Ebay, too, because that will tell you how much people are actually PAYING for a particular car, not just what they're asking.)

Second, the condition of the vehicles may not be equal. Your Jeep may be in excellent shape, and the Galaxie could have some hidden problem that makes it worth much less than the Jeep. If you intend to trade, you may want to talk to a local garage about giving the Galaxie the "once over" (put it up on a lift, inspect the body, do some simple tests on the engine, drive the car around the block) to see what condition it's in. This will of course cost you money. If you discover that the true condition of the Galaxie makes it worth less than your Jeep, maybe the seller will kick in some extra money to make up the difference.

When you go to sell the Galaxie, use something like www.Hemmings.com because its audience is exclusively old car enthusiasts and your ad dollar will be well spent. If you advertise in the local paper you'll pay about the same amount, but only a small percentage of local readers will be potential buyers of antique cars.

But, horse trading the Galaxie for the Jeep, then selling the Galaxie, will get to be quite complicated. So if you don't have the wish to get that deeply involved, it might be simpler to "just say no" to Mister Galaxie and keep looking for a cash buyer for the Jeep.
  • KittyMae wrote:
    A friends dad is willing to sell his 63 Rambler for $1000 to me, but I dont have the money yet... I'm trying to sell my jeep to get the money.

But then I met a gentleman who said he is willing to trade his 64 Galaxie for my Jeep! But I owe $3500 to my grandma for the jeep....

I was originally going to sell my Jeep for the 3500, pay my Grandma 2000 back, and buy the Rambler for 1G and replace the tires and little things...

Until....

Ed offered the trade for the Galaxie...

Now Im at a loss...

please email me or respond here!!

vvings2fli2u@rocketmail.com

(thats 2 v's... not a w)

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!

~Kitty~:D

Sounds like what they're doing in Washington,D.C. right now, diggin yourself a hole you won't ever get out of . You have an obligation to Grandma that you need to take care of above all else . In no way can you justify dissposeing of the jeep without first paying Grandma IN FULL.
    NUFF SAID
  • If the Rambler has the 196CID 6 cyl engine, run like the devil in the opposite direction! The v-8s were decent cars tho. Same goes for the 64 Ford if it's a 6 cyl. Both were pretty lousy engines, Money Pits!
This discussion has been closed.