Dream Hudson!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Since I need to get off the scammer subject, I though I'd start something on a more cheerful note. :)

The other night, I was going through an old WTN from the late '70's when I came across an article about the Italia. It was dubbed as, "every Hudson owner's dream car". This, of course got me wondering what other Hudsonnuts REALLY wanted as their dream car.

Personally, the Italia, while definately unique is not my dream car. How many were made? 25 or so? That's a museum car- it'd scare me to have it on the road. I gotta drive 'em! It's one thing to see a beautiful Hudson go down the road, but get in and drive one? Whoa, you're hooked. End of story.

O.K., so ya'll tell me. If money and availability were no option, what HET (or Railton, of Dover, for that matter) would you have? Be specific. What year, what model, what body style, etc. Kind of an informal poll, if you will.

Russell

Comments

• Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    That's a very VERY tough call for me cause I like a lot of different years and body styles but if I were stuck with one year, model, and body style I'd pick a 1930 Hudson Greater 8 LWB 4 dr sedan with dual sidemounts and a Trunk Maybe not fast but definitely classy :)
  • That's a very VERY tough call for me cause I like a lot of different years and body styles but if I were stuck with one year, model, and body style I'd pick a 1930 Hudson Greater 8 LWB 4 dr sedan with dual sidemounts and a Trunk Maybe not fast but definitely classy :)

Great pick. LWB? Long Wheel Base?

Russell
  • I would have to go with a bright red 54 hornet convertible.

black top.

If I had one of those dream italia's, I would sell it as fast as I could. What an ugly car.

If I had to pick a second one, It would be a short wheelbase stepdown coupe, 50-54 model not important.
  • hudsonkid wrote:

If I had one of those dream italia's, I would sell it as fast as I could. What an ugly car.

LOL! I was too tentative to say it, but it IS an ugly car. At least to me . . .
  • Aaron D. IL
    LWB= Long Wheel Base yeah. I Don't think the Italia is ugly exactly but what would've improved the styling is 2 things....If the rear body panels extended smoothly all the way to the back edge instead of having those tilpipe lights and Secondly if the front fender hood scoops were deleted in favor of smooth front fenders that extended to the headlights. I know it was considered a Grand Touring Car but add a 7X like the Italian X-161 (4 door) had and she could've been a Corvette-Tbird fighter if Hudson was still around. Nevertheless I got a ride in Souer's Italia and It was a phenominal-riding car!!! I loved it.
  • Ok, I'm working on getting my most attainable dream Hudson, a 1951 Hornet Convertible. Otherwise, it would be a 1942 C8 Convert or a 1933 Terraplane 8 roadster.
  • The year was 1933 that a terraplane standard eight sports roadster blazed up new hampshires Mount washington in 13 minutes,33 seconds with its gearshift lever locked in high gear. need i say more?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    In the process of putting my C8 on the road I need to decide whether to use the stock manifold setup or the Edmunds dual carb manifold. This uses 2 WGDs. I am a bit worried about over carbing the engine. Has anyone out there ever had one of these setups or knew anyone that had one and if so how well did or did it not work?
  • My dream car would be a 46 0r 47 Convert...saw a couple at RENO that I would LOVE to have,,,,someday I will have one...YEP
  • Aaron D. IL
    I know someone with a 33 T 8 Rumbleseat coupe and that car out accelerated my step-down but a HUGE margin even though it was a car 20 years newer. It's a car that's mostly chassis and pretty light and a better power to weight ratio thae the 33 Ford V8 coupe

TOM - '46-47 Convert ....Beautiful car!!!!!
  • Aaron D. IL
    50C8DAN wrote:
    In the process of putting my C8 on the road I need to decide whether to use the stock manifold setup or the Edmunds dual carb manifold. This uses 2 WGDs. I am a bit worried about over carbing the engine. Has anyone out there ever had one of these setups or knew anyone that had one and if so how well did or did it not work?

Dan I don't think you'd over carb the 8 with 2 carbs in fact I think some pre-war racecar drivers had dual carbs on the inline 8. Bill Hill in HET has done it I think or will be but if you call him he'll talk your ear off.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I don't think theres any question that any Willys sedan from '34 through '38, together with the Sharknose '38 Graham, would win any "Ugly" contest. As for Hudson dream cars, I have been driving mine for 33 years - '29 Hudson Super Six 7 Passenger sedan with custom-built Biddle & Smart Body. If I had another choice, I'd go for a '33 Terraplane 8 sedan, but theya e hard to come by in this part of the world. And a '52 Commodore 8 convertible would be up there as well!

Geoff.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    For me it would have to be a '35 Railton Lights Sports tourer replica (well since only a couple were made by the factory my chances of getting an original are near zero!). Overall weight 19cwt, 0-60 in 8.8secs and could lap Brooklands at 112-115mph, and then drive home again afterwards, admittedly without lights, screen or guards. These used the '34 Hudson Eight chassis and the H8 motor slightly tweaked with 7.75:1 compression and a Scintilla-Vertex magneto. It was so flexible that it could be driven in a circle on full lock in top gear with a 3.3:1 rear axle ratio. I could have a lot of fun with a car like this. Luckily I have a '36 H8 chassis ready to go (the body is shot) which will need shortening a few inches and then a replica body built. There is a body builder nearby that may be able to help me once I have the dimensions off an original car. The engine is ideally a late-30's H8 with compression, a good cam and good carburettion and free-flow exhaust manifold. It should really fly along then.
  • Actually mine would be a 55 Hudson Metropolitan with a replica 7X Hornet 308 and hydro shoe-horned into it. You know, something small, easy to park and with plenty of A$$ Kicking performance! Upgrade the front end to MGB disk brakes & rack-n-pinion steering then heavly notch the firewall for cylinder clearance. The stock rearend should hold up for five, maybe six good burnouts. 1700-1800lbs with @340ft lbs of torque has got to be fun to drive.

PaceRacer50

(Now looking for a 55 Met)
  • My favorite Hudson (and this could get me shot!!!) would be a 1932 or 1933 Model L Major, lwb, converted into a flatbed truck. Now, before everybody strokes out there is mention in the Hudson weight sheets I have in my book (General Information Handbook for Hudson Built Cars) of a 1933 "L" cab-pickup on a 113" wb - says "L" Cab pickup is made up of "L" frame rear end and "E" frame front end. So there is a precedence for this type of vehicle.

I would want hydraulic brakes - perhaps a brake system out of a later Hudson; as for the engine, I'd go with a later Hudson 8, preferably a '52 with a dual-range hydramatic bolted to it. At my age I don't do well with standard tranny cars any more. While we're at it, maybe we can bolt up a '54 power steering unit.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonMotorCarCompany/_whatsnew.msnw

Click on Miscelleanous Hudson Photos on the left and go to page 3 for a look at a 1929 Hudson flat bed truck. There's also an Essex flat bed on page 2.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Both Ken Cates (mentally) and I have/own a "Dream Car". In my eyes, this is the most beautiful and statically/dynamically-balanced Hudson style that was ever built and not just because I own it. Sorry, I'm just not into convertibles; however, they do demand the most money.

John
  • Step down coupe with 308 twin H, 4speed hydro with power steering, a/c, disc brakes, seat belts, wide whitewall radials.
  • il HAVE MY DREAM CAR, 1953 HORNET CONV WITH 22 ACCESSORIES, INCLUDING CONT KIT WIRE WHEELS, VISOR, STEREO 12 VOLT SPOTLIGHT MUSICAL HORNS PLAYS 80 SONGS CB RADIO POWER ANTENNA SIREN, GRILL BARS, VAN AUKEN, DRIVING LIGHTS, SLIDE OUT DRINK STAND, KLEENEX DIISPENSER, AND ON AND ON, DRAWS A CROWD EVERYWHERE I GO. THIS IS THE EX WALT CHAPMAN, PENNA HUDSON DEALER WHO DROVE IT OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR IN 53 AND HAD IT UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1988, WHEN I BOUGHT IT, LOVE THE CAR AND WILL HAVE IT UNTIL I DIE, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Fred
    Fred Expert Adviser
    A 1946/47 pickup truck with either a Honda or Toyota hybred running gear. I could take it to the local drag strip with the torque from that electric motor or take it on the road and get 50 mph. If Hudson was still in business you had better believe their engineering would be ahead of either of the Japanese car co's. If Damlier-Chrysler had any guts they would be there now.

Bill Albright you better not die in my lifetime or I will kill you?

(Thats what they tell me)

Fred
  • SamJ
    SamJ Senior Contributor
    Bill, that Chapman Cv is WAY up there. I saw a '55 at the Reno National though...hartop, blue and white, the nicest customized Hudson I've ever seen. All Hudson running gear, '55 308, a very, very nice car. I wish I coulda taken it home. And, when I saw Hedley Bennett's '40 Country Club 8 sedan, I thought "If I could have this car, I'd never ask for anything again." Santa wasn't listening, though...
  • bill a wrote:
    il HAVE MY DREAM CAR, 1953 HORNET CONV WITH 22 ACCESSORIES, INCLUDING CONT KIT WIRE WHEELS, VISOR, STEREO 12 VOLT SPOTLIGHT MUSICAL HORNS PLAYS 80 SONGS CB RADIO POWER ANTENNA SIREN, GRILL BARS, VAN AUKEN, DRIVING LIGHTS, SLIDE OUT DRINK STAND, KLEENEX DIISPENSER, AND ON AND ON, DRAWS A CROWD EVERYWHERE I GO. THIS IS THE EX WALT CHAPMAN, PENNA HUDSON DEALER WHO DROVE IT OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR IN 53 AND HAD IT UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1988, WHEN I BOUGHT IT, LOVE THE CAR AND WILL HAVE IT UNTIL I DIE, BILL ALBRIGHT

Bill, did you get this car in 87 or so at the HET nationals in York, PA? if it is a black convertible, i can remember you driving around the show in one, Wow.. that's a long time ago.... !
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Quite a few years back there was a '54 Super Wasp Hollywood on the cover of a magazine (Car Collector?, maybe 20 years ago...). It was maroon with a black top. I've got to stop and dream about that one every time I see it.

There is something about that car that just calls to me.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Herb Bell of Georgia has a 49 Commodore eight Convertible Brougham that I have been in love with since the seventies when it appeared on the cover of Special Interest Auto or Car and Parts.(one of them) With the help of Park Waldrup, I was fortunate to get to see the car in person this year and talk to Herb. Yes.... If I could hit the lottery and Herb would part with it..Oh well...

Second choice would be his REAL Miss Daisy.

Dave W. Fl
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    1951 Hornet convertible Mitzi and I just sold our dream Hudson last month, our 1951 Hornet convertible. We owned and enjoyed it for 16 1/2 years. We haven't been driving it the past 2 summers, so I decided it was time for someone else to enjoy it. Senator Howard Baker is the new owner. :)
  • YES HUDSON KID I HAD IT AT THE YORK NATIONAL, AS I BOUGHT IT IN PA, HAD IT PAINTED THERE BEFORE BRINGING IT TO CAL, HAVE DONE MANY UPGRADES, SINCE THEN SEEMS LIKE A LONG TIME AGO. SEEMS LIKE A YEAR AGO TO ME. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE 1971, NOW HAVE TEN CONVERTS, BUT WALT'S IS MY FAVORITE. IT STILL HAS HIS NAME ON THE DASH.L AND THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER THAT WAS IN THE DICK RATHMAN NASCAR RACER, nO 120. SIDE NOTE, DAVE, DID CORKY COKER SELL IT THAT QUICK, TO SEN BAKER??
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Bill, Corky was out on a mission to buy a stepdown convertible for Senator Howard Baker, when he first contacted me in April. After checking the market, he called me back in August and said he was interested in our 51. When I met with Corky at Fall Hershey, he said he and Senator Baker both loved the car. He had wished that he could have kept it for himself, but the Senator wanted it.
  • Dave: Glad to hear that the deal was completed. Hope the Senator realizes he has a new set of folks to please ... the HET brethren... Maybe Corky will take some of that cash and find another HET Convert to rescue... Bill A ... need to get your mojo on and have the man bring you another barn fresh corpse to resuscitate... LOL

Cheers to all
  • David & Mitzi, it has to be great for the value of Hudson to have sold your car to Senator Baker. I love to see famous people buy HET cars. I'm sure you are proud he chose one of yours. Now you can continue to enjoy your other nice convertibles. Way to go!

Ditto! From what I have seen and heard, your restorations are some of the best... not some orange peel specials. I am sure that is why your car got bought. Congrats. Niels
This discussion has been closed.