Car Hauling - Any Recommendations?

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've got a guy interested in my Jeep and he lives in Texas so is looking for a reputable car hauler to haul from Seattle to Texas.

Any recommendations - horror stories - folks to stay away from?

Thanks - maybe some new money coming for the Hudson!

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Well, my friend Terry has a 77 'binder rollback for sale. 5 speed main and 2 speed axle. Northern NY. Go in business.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Well, my friend Terry has a 77 'binder rollback for sale. 5 speed main and 2 speed axle. Northern NY. Go in business.

The open road does have a certain appeal to it and there are a lot worse way to make money than hauling cool old cars around...

But - I'd rather hit the open road in my Hudson and the sooner the better!
  • Make sure whoever hauls your car is insured! If your car is damaged and the carrier is not insured, you will likely have to sue them to get your car repaired. Ask to see the carrier's insurance certificate and call the insurance company to make sure the policy is still valid and that there is enough dollar value to cover your car.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    No matter who you choose.... Make sure you are talking to the company that is going to do the actual hauling. Most I have found on the internet are actually brokers and sub out the hauling to someone else. Communications are usually very poor the more people involved! Don't ask how I know this! Good Luck,

Dave W. Fl
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I used Able Auto Transport from MO a few months ago to move a stepdown from Florida to California, and that worked OK for me. http://www.ableautotransport.com

From what I found while digging around organising the move, most of the car transport industry seems to work through brokers. Able are brokers rather than truck operators, the job was actually done by a Las Vegas company.

It is a heavily regulated industry, and all involved should carry insurances, but for peace of mind organise your own insurance.
  • I have used Dependable Auto Shippers and Passport Transport with no problems.
  • I used Passport Transport to have my 26 moved from Iowa to Philadelphia. It was a piece of cake. Their communication was good, and it didn't take that long. I was very pleased, and the price wasn't too bad either. I couldn't have installed a hitch on my truck, rented a trailer and hauled it myself for what it cost me. And, Passport uses an enclosed trailer.

I would not recommend an open trailer for any length of hauling.
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    Try intercity lines I've used them and they're professional and competitively priced.
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    Intercity lines is as good as any in all aspects.
  • mtsr1025@juno.com

Thanks, Jim Guinn

cell 940-389-8997

Ken Kates put me on to this person and he did a great job for me at half the price the big guys would have charged.
  • I used (twice, to TN from CA) a firm in Las Vegas, AAA, Inc, I believe and even in an open carrier, I have no complaints!!

Cheers
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    If using a broker make sure they check out the drivers of the company they contract to haul. We got a guy, here in Maine, sitting in the pokey at the moment. He ran his 18 wheeler over another car in a construction zone, the woman in the car subsequently died. The truck driver had a rap sheet as long as a Hudson with 42 violations, including speeding, driving without a license, and a few others. A week after the accident he was nailed, again, driving without a license - on his way to his lawyers. The truck driver is an independent driver. Needless to say after his arrest last week the judge revoked his bail.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • If I have to move a car, I do it myself with a Dodge Cummins one-ton pickup and an 18' open car hauler, with a #7K winch. If it were in Maine or something, chances are, with fuel costs like they are, I'd probably have it contracted to someone. I find if it's mine, no one else is going to take better care of it than me. Problem solved.
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Iowa Motor Transport at 365 Cottonwood Dr., Garner Iowa, 50438. Traffic manager, owner Is Jeremy Gouge. It is a family run business and never passes the buck if something happens. No one can gaurentee there will be no problems, ever. But the difference with these guys is they stand behind their work and make any problems right. That is what is most important. Call them and tell them you are in the Hudson Club. You'll get a discount and they specialize in hauling our cars. Toll Free 1-800-666-0477. Direct is 641-923-3685. If Jeremy is not there ask for his Dad, The owner.
  • I have a set of (4-pieces) hub-caps (wheel covers) for a 51 hudson hornet, they are in very good condition and consist of a large center saucer with a red triangle in the center and a narrow beauty ring(2 pieces per wheel) I intend to sell them and would like an assessement of what they are worth, if the are indeed authentic they are in very good condition, I have never seen any hudson reproductions, Is there any? anyone care to venture a estimate of what these are worth? I can e-mail pictures.

thanks,

bill
This discussion has been closed.